Causes of Bartholins Cyst?

Posted , 4 users are following.

On looking at the posts on here as to why some of us think we have got it and the reasons given for the appearance of these annoying lumps by the medical profession - has anybody actually contracted one for reasons of some form of sexually transmitted disease?

I think mine flares up following sex when I'm not as lubed as I used to be before I went thru menopause due to chemo treatment. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

my last cyst had no infection. I had a marsupialization and now my gland clogs every month...the problem is there is no infection, no odour, just clear mucus and blood!

After vast internet searches I now use Benylin cough syrup to thin the mucus. I use the one with GUAIFENESIN  only as I'm on nerve pain medication.

Repeated procedures caused nerve damage in my vulval area sad

the usual cause can be an e. coli infection, strep, and rarely an STD.

I don't believe docs who say it is caused by STDs. I never had one....

the problem starts with why your body creates thick mucus anyway !!!!!

• Posted

The cause of Bartholin Cyst is blockage of the duct leading out  of gland to vagina. There are specific reasons why this should happen. It is not associated with STI and surgical removal is the only permanent cure.
  • Posted

yes, remove the gland, because there are NO PERMANENT RISKS LIKE PUDENDAL NEURALGIA IF YOU DO ..ugh

maybe if you have a decent surgeon do the job

• Posted

I for one am 99.9% certian it was not related to an STD.

As for you noticing it flaring up post sex... couldnt that be more to do with that gland's purpose..ie it wouldn't flare up in situations that dont involve sexual arrousal...?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.