Causes of intestinal inflammation

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am wondering what conditions cause inflammation of the intestines other than Inflammatory bowel disease. I have tried googling this many times, but the only thing that ever pops up is IBD. I have symptoms of IBD (diarrhea, severe stomach pain, blood in stool) and my doctor found inflammation in my lower intestine during a colonostopy but he insists I only have irritable bowel syndrome. From my research, I have found that IBS never causes inflammation. I have been on multiple medications for IBS with no relief and just need some answers. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well that's cleared up  that misunderstanding. Since you hane inflammation of your colon wall that narrows it down considerably. UC or Chrohn's are 2 possibilities since both cause inflammation of the colon and from the symptoms you describe.It doesn't sound like IBS to me, but I'm not a doctor. Persistent inflammation of the colon is a serious problem and needs an explanation. A food allergy can be responsible for your symptoms. As you can see there's no easy answer. So a 2nd opinion would be a good idea.
    • Posted

I was pretty sure the inflammation and bleeding were NOT symptoms of IBS and I'm finding most of the commentors agree. I was tested for food allergies but there were none! Thanks for the input!
    • Posted

No it's not IBS,, I say Indeterminate Colitis now cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.