cavities

Posted , 3 users are following.

i had a dental sealant placed on a bottom molar that never had cavities in the first place.  i love to eat many sweet things like cooked bananas with natural honey in the morning for breakfast.  i wait at least one hour or more before drinking water.  after that i would drink soy milk which would be fairly sweet because i added sugar.  after that i would wait at least another  hour before drinking more water.  i didnt use listerine anticavity mouthrinse but assuming i had even with this kind of eating habits, would it have prevented the cavity that formed adjacent to the dental sealant?  i brush only twice a day, morning and night.  would it have prevented the cavity like it claims to do so or not?  can a dentist please tell me.  thank you. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm by no means a dentist, but I do know that brushing thoroughly - not necessarily many times daily - is the difference between having a reason to visit a dentist and not having any business with dentists at all. I have never in my life been to any dentists; thanks to strict personal oral hygiene.

I brush my mouth only once a day, but I go extremely thorough when I do; I spend a minimum of 45 minutes in my brushing. I use full bristles soft Oral B brand, and I change my brush as often as I deem necessary, which sometimes could be once a month, and in some cases twice a month; it all depends on when I feel like it, especially when I feel that my brush bristles are no longer as even as they are on first use.

I combine up and down as well as multi directional brushing in order to ensure that every part and surface of my teeth is generously brushed, and I also do the same with my gums; I apply paste multiple times between brushing and, therefore, a toothpaste tube doesn't last too long for me. It doesn't matter to me as long as I have no reason to visit a dentist. I make sure to brush the three surfaces of the upper and lower teeth (exterior, top, and interior), one paste application per surface of row of teeth.

Brush every part of your mouth, no matter how soft, and that include the lips, the cheeks all the way beyond the wisdom teeth location, hard and soft palates, as far as you can get past the uvula (the whole length of my brush goes into my mouth as I brush all the way to my throat, which is no exaggeration), and the entire surface of the tongue to where it curves into the throat. Guide your way with a combination of hand-held and wall mounted mirrors. Repeat until your entire tongue is pink and free of any form of coating. Yes, you'd bleed; don't be discouraged by that as long as you brush thoroughly. The benefit of a thoroughly cleaned mouth is limitless.

Finally, use triple or double thread floss (Plackers brand offers both) to thoroughly floss the spaces between your teeth. Here's how I do it: I pour mouth wash into a mini cup. Then I dip the floss into the mouth wash in the mini cup and generously scrape each space between two teeth. This is followed by thorough rinsing the floss on faucet flow. It's a game of patience that you'd definitely get used to as it becomes routine. Finally thoroughly rinse your mouth with mouth wash while tilting your head backward to ensure that your throat is generously rinsed; do the same for the teeth, each time ensuring that the rinsing is close to 30 seconds. Then, complete the rinsing with water. Blow water forcefully on your brush bristles twice or three times and rinse off. This makes sure your brush is free of slimy saliva. Dry it by simultaneously running your thumb on it and waving in air in a beating motion. Then, put it away in a brush holder to air dry.

This seems like an impossible ritualistic oral hygiene, but it truly is possible and beneficial, and it gets so much easier over time. I'm not making this up; it's what I do on a daily, regular basis. When you clean your mouth this way, you'd be guaranteed breath of fresh air when you wake up in the morning until whenever you decide to brush. Also, you could go 48 hours without brushing, and your breath would still stay as fresh as can be. GUARANTEED! If you do it like me, you'd never have a reason to visit dentists, except it is for cosmetic dental reasons..., and your breath would be as fresh as mountain breeze. You'd never have periodontal disease, gingivitis, plaques, cavity, and halitosis. None of that!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.