CBT

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, Any of you out there with experience of CBT, what are your opinions, has it helped.  What happens at the session and what sort of things are discussed. Any experience opinions anyone has would be greatly accepted.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

It didn't work for me but everyone is different, just try to stay positive about it because I didn't,I'm a pessimist and that didn't help.

It's normally just trying to get you to change the way you think, so they will ask how u feel about something then and if it is negative they wok make a list of the positives and try to reinforce them.

Good luck

Hope it works for you

• Posted

That is my fear of whether it is right.  I am the eternal pessimist and have tried similar things before that havent worked.  Trying to change your thought process after it has been like that for 55 years is a hard thing to do, but I will give it a go.
    • Posted

I know how you feel as I'm exactly the same.

The therapist said I was the most stubborn person she had met, I just wouldn't change my thought process- I couldn't.

I've been referred to psychodynamic counselling instead, just waiting to see if that works.

• Posted

The reason i have Anxiety in the first place is that I have too much time on my hands to think about things and for me to have to think about what I am thinking will only make it worse.
    • Posted

I'm exactly the same, it's awful.

It's different for each person though so could work smile

Just try to put your all into it.

• Posted

Yep I will certainly give it a go, but I kind of already know what triggers the anxiety and its me thinking about things that could have a big affect on my life, but which I have no control over.  I kind of already know that I need to occupy my mind with other things more e.g. meeting friends, activities etc. but we will see what happens.  I am on meds (sertraline) which have done a lot to calm me down but I dont want to get too reliant on them.
    • Posted

I'm on sertaline too.

Been on it 3 year and it's really helped me but I have the same worry as u ther I don't want to become too reliant on them.

• Posted

Ive only been on them a few weeks.  I had a major panic attack , it was awful woke up at 2am and couldnt breathe.  I literally thought I was going to die, heart racing, sweaty, dizzy, feeling sick and after seeing the doctor they put me on Sertraline (50mg) initially for a month and then suggested I go to CGT.  Lots of things have been happening lately (death of a friend, time of year, Christmas, problems at work, very sick elderly mother) that have resulted in it I reckon.  I am hoping its just a short term thing that the meds will help resolve.  I do need to learn how to cope with it in the future though hence the reason for trying CGT.  Thanks for your advice though and good luck with your journey.
  • Posted

I was had 3-4 months off cbt, I was scepital at first, by the end I could see where they are coming from, basically it's what you want want to discuss, work at, and change. It's not for everyone, but go in open minded and be prepared for hard times. But can come out the other a better person. 

Hope it works for you and it helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.