CBT

Posted , 13 users are following.

Has anyone else out there tried CBT and has it been of any use at all? My OT has now signed me off but recommended I try it. My GP also recommended it - I think its just a prescribed course of action so it looks like they're trying to 'help'. So far I have had 3 sessions and feel rather cheated. It all seems geared up for those suffering with depression and lacking motivation but its not motivation thats the problem here. I don't know whether i should carry on wasting time and NHS resorces. If I give up they will shrug their shoulders and surmise that I don't want to get well. I have concluded now that the only thing that really helps to relieve these debilitating symptoms is rest, rest and boring rest. Rest until you feel strong enough to do a little something and rest again. Forcing it does not help. I've done all that and can't make myself well by it. Why do they think these things will work? If the medical profession would only learn to accept this horrible condition for what it is then maybe we could learn to learn to accept it too.

Sorry for prattling on but feel so frustrated by it all.

3 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I did CBT and at first thought the Dr thought he was referring me for it because he thought it was a psychological thing. I was wrong - CBT was actually quite helpful. I'm still using some of the strategies I learnt from when I did it two years ago. 

The first thing the CBT therapist got me to do was to track my level of activity each hour of each day, by using a simple chart and colours. I thought I knew what my activity levels were, but it was a real eye opener to me - I realised some days I was totally overdoing it, not getting as much sleep as I thought, and my activity was totally erratic and all over the show. The aim was to pace the activity evenly each day in a regular pattern. 

There were other aspects to the therapy too that I found helpful. Don't be put off by the "cognitive behavioural therapy" name that makes it sound like it's all in your mind. The fatigue is not in your mind, but it can be helped and managed by techniques involving the mind. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.