CBT - i think its rubbish

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anyone else had bad experiences of CBT?

This is my second go at it, my CPN is so sure it will work.

Wont listen to me when i say i have tried it before and it was rubbish.

I know it works for some, but not for everyone.

How the hell can i get anywhere with this depression if the people who are suppossed to be helping me wont listen.

I am so fed up with it, i cant be bothered going to my next appointment on Friday.

Anyone got any good advice????????

i am at my wits end.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I suffer from ME, and CBT is often used to treat the illness.

This morning I have been attending a ME self-management course and CBT was discussed, as several had been down that road. The conclusion was that it actually didn't work - even the expert heading the discussion agreed that it is not actually of much use.

Just thought you might be interested.

Katie

• Posted

:lol: :lol: Dont you mean CRAP behaviour therapy :lol: 8) :diva: :cracker: Sorry C**p :bleep: therapy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

IAM WHAT IAM :evil:

• Posted

:lol: signed onto this post and got a blank page..................appealed to my sense of humour.Yes title,,,,,,,,followed by blank page. :lol: :lol:
  • Posted

Thanks Tiny Tears - will pass your comments on to next weeks' meeting :lol::lol:

I think they will agree with you :wink:

• Posted

:lol: Okay, will you let me know what they say? I have a book on it from my degree course ....Its caleed c**p Psychology, by Eyesenck and Keane,,,,,wait a minute....lets find some evidence....just a sec.....Biederman Recognition by components theory,m where you have \"geons\", yes :lol: :oops: (geometric ions) :lol: objects...........?????Yes and these phenomenas can exist in an endless list of orders with regards to spatial awareness....what objects is he talking about........bollo..s!!!!!!!!!!!!? :lol: :lol: Oh good old Freud, doesnt get a look in. C*** :diva:
  • Posted

Hi all

Its interesting that even health professionals think CBT is rubbish.

I just think its cheap so the NHS has bought in on it.

Dont really know what else i can try though.

It is so frustrating

• Posted

Hi Emski and Tiny Tears

Blimey, Tiny Tears - you don't half have some interesting reading material on hand - NOT! :lol:

I think you could be right Emski - it's just a cheap option - maybe some folk find it useful but personally I think it is just a load of twaddle!!

Katie :roll:

• Posted

:lol: 8) Yes Katie K, and its in my memory, Taking up some valuable space :oops: :oops: :oops: Ohhh!!!!!! I am such a headbanger!
  • Posted

Hi Tiny Tears and all.

I dont know what the hell your talking but the conversation certainly put a smile on my face. Keep talking. I quite new at this depression stuff so please pardon my ignorance.

x

• Posted

I am off to see the doctor today. Really feel like saying that i think its all crap, and i am not doing it anymore. Not sure how that will go down though.

Plus i have my boss coming to see me today to see how i am doing and when i will be back at work. I am dreading it. But i have decided to be totally honest with him. i am gonna let him read my care plan from from my CPN. Think he maybe quite shocked, but hopefully he will know what my hell is like a bit more.

• Posted

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: [b:1321364466]Not we;;!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tried to finish it with him last night, hes conviently forgotten the conversation. had to leave work 2 hrs early, cried all the way home shaking, and finding it hard to breathe. Someone help, its not the drug, it is him/[/b:1321364466]
  • Posted

I need a laugh. Anyone......?
  • Posted

:D :P Wait till you hear this.....an example of my existence, my mother and my sister, (people that have no luck).

Right, mum is driving to school to pick my children up..............dough, a driver drives right into her door, the car spins round. Anyway, luckily mums all right, (this was yesterday ) She is a little shaken and awe bitty whiplashed. Gets out car and asks the other driver for his details.

Okay, so Mr Angry, gives it hummming a puffing his huff away, hands out his school number. My mums an ex school teacher, and shes thinking ffffeck, that erm does not sound like any school Ive heard of.

Gets home and contacts the police. Wait for it.................the school is for [b:b3b853e92e]BOXERS. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes she could have got her face panned in, i mean believe me, my mum opens her mouth in anger to this guy.....shouting \"You were in the wrong MR\"....little did she know this man was a boxer......oh well, I thought it funny, and thought id cheer me and you up :lol: Okay going to go and take full dose now, Ill let you jnow how it goes, Chins up people, hugs, Katy[/b:b3b853e92e]

• Posted

I used to run CBT groups. It's an absolute load of rubbish.  The people who run these groups have minimal training. These are not psychotherapists or psychologists who have any insight into human behaviour, these are people off the street mostly like you and me who have done a short course.  Shame on the NHS for always doing things on the fly and on the cheap.  No wonder our mental health services don't cope - we're not actually making anyone better because we don't want to spend the money needed.
  • Posted

I concur, had CBT and its only any use when your well and not suffering.... Basically it's someone telling you to think differently and re train your brain.... That's not what I need I need a result NOW! 

You have to really practice IT fully to get any sort of fix.

My guess is that for every 10 it works for 1 so work out the cost benefit and its not cost effective.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.