Cbt theropy what can I expect?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am starting cbt soon what can I expect what happens?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You'll figure out how your reactions to thoughts or feelings affect your anxiety. Basically you learn better coping skills. It's different for everyone because we all have unique triggers, etc. it's the best thing I've done!!
  • Posted

CBT in a nutshell is to learn how to not analyze, no room is given to work out why you think a certain way - its essentially distraction techniques. It can work for milder cases of short term anxiety. Not to sound too discouraging but it doesn't work in a majority of cases. Which isn't at all to say it never works, just be prepared and don't be too disheartened if it doesn't. It is always offered first as it's cheap and easy to deliver,there are other therapy options which work for more people if you feel it doesn't work
    • Posted

Thanks for your honesty I roll keep an open mind and hopefully it helps even a little
    • Posted

That's all any of us can do try and if doesn't work then try something else. Nothing else for it
    • Posted

Yeah that's it trying is better than not doing anything about it at all
  • Posted

CBT therapy sounds a lot like DBT where you figure out your emotions and you learn skills on how to handle emotions just like in CBT therapy you learn how to handle your anxieties and emotions 

It will be a good group for you 

• Posted

Thank you Elizabeth I'm going to go into it feeling excited and and open minded doing this is better than sitting in the couch looking up symptoms all day making myself worse step in the right direction I think

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.