cefalexin

Posted , 2 users are following.

Having had recurring UTI's for 6 years and been given Trimethoprim, which didn't work, and Ciprofloxacin which did work, but I believe is expensive, I'm now on a 6 months 1 a day cephalexin course. I'm not happy about it but couldn't put up with the constant pain that the UTI was causing me. I don't have any side effects from the cephalexin but am worried that so much antibiotics will eventually compromise my otherwise excellent immune system.

Has anyone else been on long term antibiotics and if so did it eventually rid the bladder of the E coli bacteria.

I'm also taking a daily Lanoprazole for heartburn and really don't want to end up one those people taking more and more pills every day, especially in light of the latest research about the long term use of Lanzoprasole and Osteoporosis.

I'm 68 and feel I'm on the slippery slope of prescription drug dependency.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there jentojoyce

Well done for not being on any medications at the age of 68. Many, many people of that age have to take drugs on a daily basis for a variety of different conditions.

I have heard of several people having to take anti biotics long term and they have never mentioned it affecting their immune system.

Personally I would ask myself if my GP is the type that issues anti biotics nilly nally. If not then I can't see it doing you any harm taking them for 6 months.

Sometimes lifes circumstances means we do need to take drugs on a daily basis long term or for life. As long as it is helping keep us all fit and well and able to continue with a good quality of life then surely that has to be better than suffering daily?

Here's to you having a speedy recovery.

Melbi x

• Posted

[quote:39ca5caf85=\"Melbi\"]Hi there jentojoyce

Well done for not being on any medications at the age of 68. Many, many people of that age have to take drugs on a daily basis for a variety of different conditions.

I have heard of several people having to take anti biotics long term and they have never mentioned it affecting their immune system.

Personally I would ask myself if my GP is the type that issues anti biotics nilly nally. If not then I can't see it doing you any harm taking them for 6 months.

Sometimes lifes circumstances means we do need to take drugs on a daily basis long term or for life. As long as it is helping keep us all fit and well and able to continue with a good quality of life then surely that has to be better than suffering daily?

Here's to you having a speedy recovery.

Melbi x[/quote:39ca5caf85]

• Posted

Having constant prostate infection my local hospital gave me 4 weeks course of Cefalexin 3 daily 500 mg. im into my second week and still have the pain but it is easing although im having really bad headaches and as this is noted as side affects i was wondering if anybody else also has had bad headaches also taking this medication

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.