Celebrity PMR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Is anyone aware of any celebrity or well known person who has publicly admitted or "endorsed" PMR or GCA?

Often times celebrity association is necessary to bring a little known disease to light!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Dan, there are several. Princess Alexandra has had it and When that news broke I know our national organisation here in the UK made contact with her sending their good wishes. Others include Margaret Thatcher; the head of our Channel 5 news who is now a trustee of the national charity; a member of Pan's People who used to dance on Top of the Pops years ago; plus a couple of other celebrities whose names I can't recall at the mo. Press articles have mentioned them and a couple of them have had articles on PMR/GCA published. So all helpful to our cause.

• Posted

Thank you. I had no knowledge of Margaret Thatcher. Did she have it when in office? I've often wondered how public figures cope with the vagaries  of these diseases. I suppose that public figures may be inclined to keep this problem from the view of the public, less it somehow tarnish their image.

Thanks to all who weigh in on this. Have another question which I'll be posting in another thread.

• Posted

Two patients on "Doc Martin" were discovered by Doc to have PMR - and of course, he "fixed" them !!

After those shows, all my friends knew what I had !

Dave

• Posted

Remember he was in a hotel and room service guy brought something in and immediately Doc looked in his eyes and saw the PMR !! He followed him downstairs to monitor him and then in the kitchen while he was telling him what to do about it, the cook cut his finger off and of course Doc fixed that as well !!!!
    • Posted

I do not remember that episode.  Perhaps I slept through that bit because surely I'd remember a finger being cut off.  Eeeew.

• Posted

Doc seems to know the immediate resolution for all diseases - PMR being a very simple one apparently !!

I know how to fix it as well - listen to Eileen and take a ton of Prednisone for years and years !!

• Posted

There is a member of the House of Lords. (  Name escapes me ) who had a family member affected by GCA and has spoken in the House on the subject.
  • Posted

Even if celebs are keen to let it be known, the media will yawn, After all CGA is treatable, even curable. Like getting over a cold. Far more fun reporting celeb downfalls, their descent into hell through drugs. 
  • Posted

There was a brief mention (after her death I think) that Mrs Thatcher developed PMR one autumn - but it was "cured" by May (it was joked it was probably too terrified of her to stay). Princess Alexandra also withdrew from public Royal duties because of PMR - it was mentioned but she never said any more. Hardly useful.

There have been a few Daily Mail articles about GCA - not from really well known people though. 

Not a sexy enough disorder - just makes patients look old before their time...

• Posted

Not always, Eileen. My pred face had lost most of its wrinkles. I'll settle for being my normal skinny self again, though.

• Posted

Unfortunately choice not offered Betty.  Either you are skinny and wrinkly or roundy and wrinkle-free!

And, whichever one you are, you feel the other option is better . . . . Sad. 

J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.