Celexa activation syndrome

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone,

i have been on 10mg celexa for just about 5 weeks now. i was put on it for depression and definitely feel like its working. over the past 2 days on and off I have started getting jittery and a bit anxious for no reason. it's just weird and a little uncomfortable. i read that it's called activation syndrome and is a side effect of this. anyone else experience this, have any advice on how to cope? my depression stemmed from anxiety which I have had since childhood

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

you either plow thru the side effects or ask your doctor for a short term benzo.the benzo will calm you down while you are stabilizing on celexa.

• Posted

I'm with Lois on this one. I was given 2mg of Diazepam which took the edge off on the bad days. I also found Audio books a great help, mindfulness & reading up on Anxiety and becoming aware of your triggers help too. Your still so early in so it will be side effects you are experiencing and they will pass in time. I used Diazepam as and when I needed it up until about 14weeks and I am in no way addicted so don't let anyone scare monger you into thinking you will become reliant on them.

Hope this helps 😉

• Posted

thanks for your reply. yeah its kind of been up and down with that. my appetite has been up and down along with my weight. mood is better and have had slightly more energy in past weeks. i know I am still pretty early on celexa, when do you start to stabilize? after like 2/2.5 months?

• Posted

is different for everyone i didn't feel any comfort from the side effects of celexa for 8months.now i did feel relief from my initial symptoms of anxiety right away.dont confuse your anxiety symptoms with the side effects of celexa.sorry to intrude.

• Posted

For me the side effects....loss of appetite, nausea, upset stomach, panic attacks, they shifted after around week 8. However, my anxiety that had started to go came back terribly along with the racing thoughts, low mood and detachment. I upped from 20mg to 30mg with very mild side effects at week 9 and after about week 12 I gradually started to feel the full benefit.

I'm still in recovery and experience blips occasionally and find my anxiety that I would experience in general for nights out, work, parenthood etc they are still very much heightened when I get it & I resort back to mindfulness, audio books and reassuring myself that I'm feeling it for a reason this time whereas before it came from nowhere and I couldn't control it.

You will get there, but don't believe the black and white on the packaging. It takes way more time then the packaging suggests & a whole lot of will power. I found the ppl on this forum helped me more than any GP or mental health nurse I spoke to. Good luck!!

• Posted

oh i totally understand iam recover but still get blips.after two and a half years on celexa.

• Posted

thanks for sharing your experience Moaney. i agree that it takes longer than the 6-8 weeks for some people at least. I'm hopeful to start feeling a mood and energy lift in the coming weeks.

• Posted

You're welcome....and u will start to feel it kicking in. It just happens slowly. So much so that you don't notice a sudden change, but eventually think "gosh I've felt human for a few days now" which soon turn to weeks. I truly thought I was stuck in a world of crazy for a good 3 months before things started to progress....and I turned to this site for support and reassurance to get me through and it helped immensely. So come here anytime and you'll feel a small lift when you need it most. Defo look into a benzo though they are a great help for the early stages. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.