Celexa and alcohol

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi everyone. i was wondering about the effects of celexa when drinking alcohol. i have been on celexa for about 2 months and am feeling a lot better. still some days where I am tired, but overall good and back to my normal weight range. i am back at school and wanted to know the side effects of celexa with alcohol. i am not a heavy drinker by an means. but wanted to know if if 1-2 drinks would have any bad effects.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

it affects people differently i have the odd drinks if im going out to a special occasion but normally stop at 3 so far i have been fine

• Posted

Hi William,

Personally, I've noticed that my alcohol tolerance was pretty much cut in half. I've been on celexa for a year now and my tolerance has been built up again, but it took a while and I still get worse hangovers than before I took celexa.

Jillian

• Posted

Hello! - I have been on Celexa for 6 months. The affects do vary from person to person but I find myself able to drink with no issues. I found that when I drank certain liquors such as rum I had really bad anxiety hangovers to the point I couldn't function but when I drink white and red wine and vodka I do not have any negative side effects. Although I am only on a 10mg dose.

Maybe start off with 1 or 2 drinks and see how it goes?

• Posted

ye definitely right there jenny, lager or fizzy alcohol is ok but i went out last month and drunk rum and coke, got drunk, woke up the next morning feeling very hungover, later that evening i had a few side effects of the med which i haven't felt for 2 years, so the lesson is keep off the shorts for myself. side effects were hot flushes goin down my shoulders followed by panicky feelings and clammy but no panic attacks thank god, never drank rum before, i think it reacts bad with the med.

• Posted

two days after, I'm feeling reslly weird. alcohol not good with celexa?

• Posted

Hey William,

I'm on 10 mg for almost 1 year. I can have red wine. White can give me anxiety. My tollerance is 1/2 of what it was pre med. I just had a vodka martini and I was ok . This med is a miracle for me. Last year it was horrible with panic attacks, insomnia, hot flashes etc. I thank everyone on here that helped me get through this.

Will

• Posted

I've found that it does increase the effects of the alcohol quite a bit so just be aware of it. And the next day if you have anxiety it can make it worse, so be sure to drink a lot of liquids to flush it out, other then that I didn't find any other adverse reactions myself to alcohol and the Celexa.

• Posted

it does the opposite for me .it decreases the effect of the alcohol.go figure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.