Celexa and Long Term side effects, Stories?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone, my name is Gary (welcome gary, now here's your pin.) 

I was one of those kids in the late 1990s who was put on Celexa. I was 16 at the time and my parents figured it would be a good move as i was struggling emotionally and diagnosed with depression (as opposed to a 16 year old who depressed?) I later learned that the official diagnosis was Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

I was started on a dosage of 10mils or 20, i can't remember but gradually i was bumped up to 60mg daily after 6 years. In the beginning it helped with my feelings of depression and anxiety. I felt mania from time to time and would work on stories, various tinkering projects until 5 in the morning on some days and in the rare cases i would not even sleep for a day and a half. When the mania was not there it was a feeling of numbness (if that makes any sense) I just was not excited, happy, angry, sad, or any kind of emotion. Gradually nihilistic thoughts crept in, of suicide, a life of solitude in the forest, crap like that.

It was not until i was working overseas when i went off the meds cold turkey, due to the fact i could not obtain them in the country i was working in when i experienced the worse withdrawl symptom i ever hope to endure. I had a migraine and flu like symptoms for two weeks straight and could barely leave my flat except to get drinks and food. I always wondered what my aunts and mom were bitching about when they said they had a "Migraine" and after that experience i had a much better understanding of it. 

My mental state after the withdrawl from Celexa was akin to shaking a bottle of coke for the better half of a decade then suddenly popping the cap. I was angry, took stupid risks cut people out of my life who i always wanted to but was afraid of doing. It's as if PTSD was put on hold for that time then finally let loose. More than anything I wanted to be alone. I became very withdrawn and did not like people (even friends) touching me, It never bothered me before.

Over time i began to notice finer details, I never wrote stories anymore and when i felt like writing I could not articulate myself. I found it difficult to concentrate on reading. I was not able to multitask, everything had to be orderly and mono-tasked or i would have incredible difficulty coping with it. Before i was capable of all these things.

On the plus side i have become more pragmatic I feel more interested in practical things and i have a greater deal of confidence (I credit that to my friend who i practiced martial arts however.) My life has become a constant struggle to find order in things, if that makes any sense. I have a constant mental fog, sometimes i forget what i doing, where i am going right in the middle of a task. almost like a mild form of dementia but fortunately that is not very common.

If anyone has experienced something similar on any level i'd love to hear your story in the comments below. Celexa was used to help me cope with PTSD but all it did was suppress the healing process I feel, along with rewiring my brain in ways i am still not sure of. Not much study has been done on long term effects of SSRIs to my knowledge. the longest period i have seen is two years. 

anyway, that's it love to hear your guys' input. 

Cheers

-Gary

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

about 11 years ago I got diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I didn't realize that my sister my mother my nieces and eventually my daughter all would come down with this disease. I was shaking so bad I couldn't work I had to go on disability and my sister who was in nurse recommended that I take citalopram to help with some of the nervousness. I wish I never had started it. I what's living in a town in Illinois that had a major snowstorm a few years ago and I was out of my citalopram. When the weather cleared I was hoping to go to the pharmacy for a refill because I had been out for 5 days and my battery was dead anyway I called my girlfriend up and I couldn't talk straight I couldn't think straight my head hurt I was imagining things I just felt like I wanted to die. So she called another friend and they took me to the hospital and I was trying to tell them in the emergency room that I had been out of my citalopram but they put me in the nut Ward and in there I kept throwing up that asking them for some Citalopram cuz by now it had been about 7 days. Finally they listen to my doctor and ordered the Citalopram and sent me home after a day-and-a-half of torture on a psych ward. One other time I ran out on a Friday because we are waiting for the doctor 2ok refill and he didn't okay it until Monday so I went to Days by the second day I was going crazy again. Migraines nightmares hallucinations This Is A Dangerous Drug and I want to get off of it so bad but it is so scary when you don't have it to take the side effects of it just makes you want to take your life because what you're going through is like an acid trip and to Never Never Land. I also take clonazepam which helped with the shaking from my nerves and muscles due to the fibromyalgia. I want to get off these two drugs so bad but I'm scared I will never forget the side effects and I never run out anymore I always make sure I get that refill please help me try to figure out what to do and getting off of this drug because I do not need citalopram not with the side effects it's given me over the last 11 years thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.