Celexa and strange heart palpitations

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone!!!

Been taking celexa 10mg for almost 2 weeks now and I've been getting this rather strange heart palpitations whenever I would wake up while sleeping or napping. It doesn't beat fast it just beats very strong enough to shake my whole body. This last for like 15-30 seconds and goes away. Anyone have any insights on this? Only happens when waking up from sleep or a nap.

Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have been on the same medication going on 7 weeks. I experienced a horrible panic attack on my 3rd day. But haven't had one since, and yes I did experience what you did especially before bed and in the mornings. I had dry mouth, headaches and hot flashes. But they all went away, I do feel more confident. However I still don't feel completely balanced. I still get dizzy now and then and depressed. My depression was really bad my 4th and 5th week. But now it's dying down. Don't worry the side effects will diminish. I was on here like you the first week I took them. I just kept at it and today I never miss a pill. Just hang in there. The palpitations might just be do to dehydration or lack of vitamins. When you feel them try drinking plenty of water or eat banana. I use to just walk on my treadmill for 10 minutes and they would stop for many days. Plus these pills make you tired and hard to get out of bed. They still make me tired, but I try to get up and clean, ride my bike, or just walk outside. Stay positive better days are coming your way, panic will be a thing of the past!

• Posted

Hi thanks for responding, yeah it's definitely been a roller coaster ride. The weird thing is that the palps doesn't feel like palpitations it just feels like my heart is beating hard and strong enough that my body shakes from the stomping. I tend to notice it more if I'm suddenly awakened like an alarm or if my sleep is interrupted but nonetheless today I took a nap and woke up on my own yet I still noticed it. it happens for like a few seconds then goes away. I never used to have this before but it started 2 weeks into taking the celexa so I'm not sure if there's a connection there.

I've also noticed lightheadedness, spaced out and loss of balance sometimes. My depression is also dying down a bit as well but I'm only on 10mg for now so hopefully that keeps improving.

They definitely do make me tired but I try to take mine around maybe 730pm-8pm and the tiredness is not as bad the next day. But if I take it anytime past 8pm I'm definitely gonna suffer tiredness all day the next day so maybe that's something you can try as well. I'm not sure what time you take yours. Anyways I can't wait till the side effects diminish.

• Posted

I take mine around 4 pm, I tried taking later just didn't work out for me or the mornings. It's gonna take time, but I will persevere. I'm starting to get some energy back. No more side effects. The pills do raise your anxiety, so that's probably why you feel the way you do. But that will diminish later on. Hang in there bud!

• Posted

Did you ever get sort of like a flu like symptoms side effects like as if you have the flu but no temperature because I woke up this morning and I felt cold and sweating a bit but checked my temp and it's normal so I don't know if this might be a side effect or if I need to reduce the dose and cut a 10mg in half and see how that goes or just myself off completely and maybe try and different antidepressant. I just feel off like my brain is in a constant daze/spacedout.

• Posted

It has also been really cold out here lately just don't know I'm it's from the cold or the celexa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.