Celexa and tinnitus(ringing in the ears)

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone!!!

I might have posted on here a few times but has anyone ever gotten or noticed tinnitus from taking celexa I'm only on 10mg of celexa and I'm noticing some mild tinnitus that can get quite loud at times and some vibrations, full ear but mostly the tinnitus is getting quite loud. Not sure exactly what this is but I've never had this before.

Anyone have any insights to offer I'll appreciate it.

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes! I also take 10 mg and i have pulsatile tinnitus in one ear which keeps me awake hearing my heart pounding in my ear. Unfortunately i dont have any thing to offer as my dr says is nothing to do with the medication. I know it is though! And it is mentioned in the listed side effects. If you get any info i would be glad to share it. Good luck though. Hope you get it sorted. Lesley
    • Posted

Thanks for responding yeah it's getting really loud and annoying and I hope it goes away because I'm scared of this being permanent as I've never had this before not sure if it's worth quitting the celexa but it's starting to help me a bit so I'm not sure but this tinnitus is really bothering me.

• Posted

Its really annoying. Ive never had before either and i am really cross that my doctor wont take it seriously.
    • Posted

Yeah I haven't talked to my doctor about this yet but I will soon if it doesn't go away as I'm not sure if this will go away or not but I know it needs to go or I'll need to switch medications or just stop everything altogether and figure out something else to do about my depression.

• Posted

Hi Shawn and Lesley, yes I started on 10mg but noticed the tinnitus when I upped to 20mg. To be honest although it's annoying it's not as bad as my restless leg syndrome which seems to be constant at the moment - anyone had this either?

• Posted

Thank you for responding, I think I also move my legs a lot too I've noticed but the tinnitus is what's really bothering me not the leg movements. I really need to decide what to do about this because I'm not sure if this is something that will go away or if I'll need to switch medications as I don't want this to become permanent.

• Posted

I just can't face switching meds and going through hellish side effects again. I've also got terrible insomnia but GP thinks this will settle

• Posted

You are correct side effects are always a concern but if this will pass I'm willing to stick it out that's why I'm here to see if anyone has experienced this and has it passed or have any idea on what exactly is going on based on their experiences.

• Posted

Yes! I have one leg that suffers this!!! Hadnt connected it to the medication though.
    • Posted

I didn't know I had it either till gp said that's what he thought it was, I don't know what I think but it's terrible burning and fizzy legs

• Posted

Shawn

It seems to be quite a common side effect , I've noticed a dripping sound in my left ear since I started on cit , I've noticed it reducing as my dose has , also has been discussed by others recently on this forum

• Posted

I'm only on a low dose 10mg but the tinnitus is getting loud not sure if this will pass or if I'll need to try a different medication just don't want this to become permanent or lead to hearing loss or other issues.

• Posted

Have you an instruction sheet in the box. If so does it give any idea of Tinnitus is a side effect.

If it is really bad talk to your GP

• Posted

Yes. It does give it as a possible side effect but not one of the most common. I did discuss with my gp who poo-pooed the idea and laughed me out of the surgery. I felt quite stupid for mentioning it.
    • Posted

I've also read online that this can become permanent and it scares me and I'm seriously debating weaning myself off this med starting tonight as I can tolerate other side effects but this one is a no no for me and especially with the risk of having it becoming permanent is just a risk I'm not willing to take and according to my research this sometimes doesn't go away even after stopping the medication but is it really worth the risk? Very frustrating

• Posted

Your GP should have been more supportive. I do get a hum in my ears and over the years I have just accepted it as I get Psoriasis in both my ears. I was putting ointments in my ears and all that did for me was made skin shed in my ear canal so now at 66 I just grin and bare it

Go to NHS CHOICES and look up the names or the partners at your Surgery, each will have there own speciality, change your GP for on that covers your concerns

B.

• Posted

Just mentioned above my ears are effected by using steriods in my ears, I had in now for quite a few years, I alays thought it was dead skin

B.

• Posted

the irony about this is that the cits I are working a bit and I know stopping is probably gonna make the depression return with a vengeance but is it really worth the constant tinnitus in return of not having severe depression? It's a tough call but I know I need to figure out a way to handle this situation soon

• Posted

Shawn do all SSRI s have the potential to cause tinnitus?
    • Posted

I haven't done an extensive research yet but from what I've found yes all SSRI have the potential to cause tinnitus with celexa being the highest cases reported. and like I said even though the cits are working helping a bit for my crippling depression I'm seriously weighing my options in terms of if it's worth it to keep taking with the tinnitus as a side effect. I've also read sometimes even stopping the celexa doesn't make the tinnitus go away. Do your research but I'm seriously considering tapering off the meds and regrouping to figure out what else to do about my debilitating depression besides antidepressants.

• Posted

Have been on Cit for about ten years now, I am a Pensioner and I will be on the drug until they plant me as my condition is a Chronic Pain condition an I really just cannot be bothered to start changing medications again when all problems seem to be so slight

B.

• Posted

I suppose it depends how bad the tinnitus is and how it affects you on a daily basis
    • Posted

Yes I suppose so. When I was at Collage I was training for the Merchant Navy and had to learn Morse. Four hours a week of tapping a morse key made me a little deaf I feel. So it may be that I suppose we think of all different things over time. With me I do feel it is Psoriasis.

B.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.