Celexa (citalopram) and nausea

Posted , 9 users are following.

Been on celexa for 5 days aftee coming off klonopin. Took klonopin for about 2 weeks at a low dose. Been off of it over 2 weeks. My doctor said I shouldn't have any withdrawal from it. Just didn't like the way it made me feel. Now after taking celexa for 5 days I feel awful. I've had nausea all day and now I can't sleep. I also have terrible tinnitus that started before taking the meds but they seem to have made it worse. Has anyone else had a similar problem with it and how long will it take to get over this? Thinking of stopping this also. Not worth it.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Patrick

I was taking these for 16 days stopped Tuesday.

They are vile, I felt so bad.

Done nothing but cry. The thoughts I was having scared me.

I know now that I'm strong enough to do it without drugs.

Your right it's not worth it. If you look on here some people still feel like that after 5/6 months.

I have no energy, tired yet could not sleep.

Hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Thanks. How long after you stopped did you start feeling better? I'll give it some time through the weekend. But I can't go on like this and work without any sleep. 

• Posted

R u taking it for anxiety?
    • Posted

Yes. Taking it for anxiety. Other medical condition (cervical stenosis) had me all upset it was something more serious. I have had anxiety for a long time but all of this other stuff really made it bad. 
  • Posted

The first three weeks on 40 mg were very difficult for me! I used Klonopin on really difficult days to get through the side effects. I'd try to hang in there in you can!! I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you. I'm only taking 10mg but I was also taking klonopin for about 2 weeks. Stopped taking that because it didn't really do much for me. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. I'll try this for a little while longer. 

• Posted

Hi katelyn48240

How long have you been on 40mg and how long did it take to work for you...I have been up to 40 for 5 weeks now and the side effects are still there and I don't think my depression is getting any better. I really don't want to switch meds to start all over again

• Posted

I totally understand your fear. I'm so worried I'll have to find another drug and start all over again. I'm in the middle of my 6th week and feel 85% better compared to the day I started the meds. I have an appt to see my dr during week 8 and if I'm not above 85% we'll discuss options. I don't think I have any side effects any longer...but anxiety is still too high for me. Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Thanks for you reply

I hope it works out for you too and you won't need to change meds. Feel free to update me if you want to and I can keep you updated on my progress

• Posted

All initial side effect I'm afraid....they will level out soon. Really they will. Your body is having a reaction to a foreign substance

• Posted

I hope so. I'm only taking 10mg. And I've only been taking it for 6 days. Is it normal to start feeling side effects days after starting it?

• Posted

Hi Patrick, I missed your message above.  Yes, side affects can set in within hours I'm afraid.  Is your doc increasing your dose?   I know they like you t manage in the lowest dose possible, but my doc had me raise my dose on a weekly basic up to 40mg.  I'm thrilled to say that after 6 weeks I'm fantastic.  Hope you are improving, but if not, do see your doc about increasing your dose

• Posted

Sorry for the delay. I feel much better now. It took about a week for the side effects to subside. Not sure about other side effects though. Since taking it I occasionally get jaw tremors (only way I know how to describe it). Almost like my teeth are chattering. And my eyelids twitch. But, I also have a chiari malformation that might be causing it. Not sure. Anyway, feeling better. Thanks!
    • Posted

Did it take you exactly 6 weeks to feel good?

I've been on 30mg for just over 5 weeks now ans the last week I felt like I was slowly getting better but the last two days more anxious and like I will get bad again. Are ups and downs normal?

• Posted

I am new to this whole forum thing and I am only posting, because I haven't found any discussion leading to how I am feeling.

I started Celexa almost 6 weeks ago. One week 10mg and I have been on 20mg since. After I had my period three weeks in, the following week I felt like a million bucks. This week, I am experiencing insane heartburn, stomach pain, cramps and nausea. I can eat if I need to, but at the the same time, the thought of food makes me nauseous. Just wondering, is it normal to feel like this? I know it takes time to fully be in my system, but the less I have to worry about the more I will start to feel better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.