Celexa for anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi guys,

I've been posting on here for while, but had a general question. I'm taking celexa 10mg for anxiety-induced depression. My depressions has gotten a lot better, the anxiety is slowly improving.

Over the past 3 months I was abroad for school and started getting very anxious to the point my anxiety was preventing me from eating a lot, though I made sure to have some food. I prob lost 6-7 pounds there. I am back home now and am not feeling very depressed, but do notice appetite is still lacking and I'm on the border for underweight (I've always been thin though). It has gotten somewhat easier but I get these weird chills and find my self out of energy a lot, not very hungry. I'm wondering if that's the medicine or my body dealing with some residual anxiety. my doctor said I will be ok and just said to keep eating getting in as much food as possible. Just wondering if you guys had any thoughts.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I find myself not being hungry until early evening. I too have lost some pounds on Cit.

• Posted

ok, at least it's not just me. just want my appetite back its somewhat stressful

• Posted

Sounds like a touch of anxiety rather than the meds although the first few months I had zero appetite, as I started to get better the opposite happened, I got the munchies. I've read quite a few people struggle with weight gain with A/D's. In my experience A/D's are not the complete answer, they hugely help you to get back to a place where you can start on the road to recovery. Exercise really helps but if you are underweight that might not help, therapy is really good if you can get access to the right person. I also struggle eating when im not well, especially around others. Christmas is nearly upon us, take the lack of weight as a blessing and plan to stuff your face for a couple of weeks. If you are still not right come the new year have a think about upping your dose to maybe 20mg. You probably wont see a 100% improvement on whatever dose, some do but they got me back to 80%, the last 20% had to be worked on. Like everyone else i still have bad days but nothing like before. Good luck, its a horrific illness at times but it always gets better.

• Posted

my parents and doctor tell me not to worry about my weight as a lot of it is my anxiety. i started celexa in mid November an was feeling better about a week and a half ago. my doctor tried to up me to 20mg by alternating between 10 and 20 each day. i stopped after i got bad mood swings. back on 10 mg for about 3 days. anxiety is bad in morning, get dizzy. nauseau is an issue with little appetite for me. keeping an open mind though cuz these are known side effects that I have to deal with.

• Posted

I original started on sertraline, devil pills for me, made me 10x worse but i didn't want to give in and thought it needed time, how wrong was i, 10 weeks of utter pain, day and night. Finally i gave up and started on citalopram, not easy at first but god damn they have certainly worked. I've had numerous side effects to some degree although far, far less than the evil sertraline, one by one they have disappeared. Only one remaining is a lower libido but i can live with that. I take 20mg, works for me, others will have the opposite experience. Its an utter pain in the arse finding the right med and dose but its far better than suffering. Its hard having no appetite, im guessing it means you are not back to normal but try to spoil yourself with a bucket full of junk food. In a short while you'll be trying to limit your calorie intake. I went from one to the other, i'm constantly hungry now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.