Celiac/coeliac disease links with arrhythmia?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I would be very interested to hear member's thoughts on whether celiac disease has been their cause of afib or flutter.

I have been doing some research and it appears that people who have thyroiditis, either under or over, are a strong candidate for celiac disease.

I am going to do a trial of giving up gluten for a couple of months to see if it helps.

What are your thoughts please?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Day 9 and feeling not too bad at all. I'm finding that I'm more tired than usual in the evenings

and tend to nod off in front of the tv whereas never did before.

My weight is dropping slowly but I'm eating as much as I need.

Can't give any heart indications yet obviously but it's early days.

Oh yes, I had a day of feeling agitated on day 6. We've been getting phone calls from someone saying they are SFR, our phone and internet provider in France, but we know they are scam calls and ignore them. The other day though,I deliberately answered the call and told them to sling their hook in no uncertain terms! This coming from me who doesn't usually say boo to a goose!!

• Posted

I was amazed to find that my vision had gotten a lot better after about a week without wheat. I have read seveal blogs where many people have stated similar unexpected findings after giving up wheat.

Have you noticed that also - that staying away from wheat results in you seeing things better?

• Posted

My eyesight is pretty good anyway Frank so I can't really comment, but I am a lot livelier and have a lot more energy. Perhaps that's why I fall asleep early lately "burn out" 😁!

Did you know that wheat, barley and rye contain opiods which are addictive and make you crave certain foods made from them? Because of that addiction, manufacturers are putting this stuff into a lot of products, even shampoos etc. Craft eh?

• Posted

Yup - and similar to an opiod, there are withdrawal effects, most often mild, when one gives up wheat.  Those withdrawal effects can last for a few days to several weeks for some.

Frank

• Posted

I know. I wasn't sure what to expect and have come through it so far fairly unscathed.

I'm not a big bread or cake eater anyway but I believe that even small amounts can irritate the vagus nerve so that's why I'm giving it a go. Also, it's not a bad thing to try and live without gluten anyway.

• Posted

Hi Gwen, How interesting that you should mention this possible connection. My late father had Coeliac Disease but, didn't have Afib as far as I am aware. However, my guts play havoc with me if I have dairy milk products and wheat. So, I have gluten free food and definitely feel better for it and don't bloat as much. Thyroid could be another reason too although, I'm not too sure about that.

• Posted

Hi Luckypenny, I 've been doing a lot of reading, research and asking questions about people's diet and if they are afib free through types of diet.

Do you find that cutting out gluten helps your afib?

• Posted

Yes, and thyroid is very interesting too. A lot of people with arrhythmia have thyroid imbalance.

I would love to do a proper study into all these aspects and see if there is a common cause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.