Cellulites in cheek after root canal

Posted , 3 users are following.

In January I had a root canal done. I've had several and thought nothing of it. After the procedure, I told everyone it was the best on so far, no pain at all. That night I felt no pain and forgot I had it done less than 10 hours earlier. When I woke up the next day, my cheek was the size of a grapefruit and by 10pm I was in the ER in excruciating pain. They gave me a shot of Novocain which I almost passed out, a script for pain meds and antibiotics. They also gave me a shot of antibiotics. They said the Novocain would last until I could get to the VA at 8 am ( this is all during the weekend) the Novocain helped for ONE HOUR! My face was numb but the pain was back. The percicet kicked in for a few hours. Went to the VA that next morning shaking, crying and my whole half side of my head was swollen. They gave me a shot of anti-inflamitories and gave me a few ice packs. Long story short I was back at the ER that evening and I was immediately admitted, put on a morphine drip and I woke up 2 days later not knowing what had happened. I got cellulites in my cheek so severeI was in the hospital for 5 days! I almost lost my eye. For a month after the nerves in my cheek/ mouth were damaged and I was numb until the nerves recovered. What happened to me is a less than 2% chance of ever happening. I am saying all this because if the health care people had taken me seriously about the level of pain and had not just wrote it off as swelling/ pain after root canal, take a few antibiotics and you be fine, none of this ever would have happened. If something you know is terribly wrong after a root canal or any other dental treatment, especially if it's after hours or during the weekend, make sure whomever you are dealing with takes you seriously and doesn't assume. Has anybody else had that level of complications after a root canal?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

OMG that's SO scary! No more root canals for YOU! In fact, if I were you, I'd take impeccable care of my teeth now and forever!

Cellulitis scares the CRAP outta me. The first time I "had" it, I'd broken a toe when I tripped over a small boulder in my garden. I was bare footed. NEVER walk around in the garden with bare feet! Always use gloves when pulling weeds or planting as well. Lots of bacteria in garden soil. I don't have athletes foot, hiv or. hepatitis. I've been tested for every disease known to man basically and none of them came up positive. I was tested for streptococcus and the other baceria usually associated with cellulitis. Nothing. What my blood tests have shown is inflammation. And I have Interstitial Cystitis, a syndrome which causes chronic inflammation of the bladder wall.

The first time I had the symptoms of cellulitis, my foot was very swollen, red, hot and painful as hell. It was the weekend and the ER dr dx me with Gout. I went straight home and researched gout. Nothing in the usual profile of someone with Gout applied to me. Nonetheless, I got in the car and rode 13 hrs to SC. By the time we reached Charleston, my foot was grotesquely swollen and my husband dropped me at the door of the best after hours Dr's office in town. Within 5 minutes, the dr there deduced I had cellulitis, not gout! I spent the next 3 hrs on an iv drip of Antibiotics followed by a course of oral antibiotics.

When my husband caught up with me, I told him I had cellulitis. He grimaced and said "damn, you'd be a lot better off with Gout". Until I was able to read about it, I couldn't grasp the seriousness of my situation. Thankfully, the antibiotics did a great job. Over the past 10 years I've had 8 bouts of it. It's obvious to me that loss of sleep, stress, poor diet & generally not taking care of myself are factors when I've seen the first signs of it coming on.

Take care of yourself!

• Posted

Hello liz82841-

Well, that is terrible. I had a good chanal that went bad and the tooth was pulled but I got cellulitis in my right foot not the mouth and I never felt anything like it in my life. 2 weeks later and I cannot drive or barely walk. I now need rehab. My blood cultures where negative for the entire time and no one knows how I caught this. They gave me Vancomycin for 5 days but I'm Vancomycin resistant then they pulled out the experimental $10,000.Oo IV called Oritavancin. Only 10 people prior to me were allowed to us it in my state and it lasted 3 hrs but it was like getting 2 12 oz IVs everyday for 10-14 days. I'm about 80% better now but still have to be able to walk, drive, etc. The Drs were pretty clueless for at least 5 days.

I can't imagine the pain in your mouth. How did you get over it? Thanks a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.