Cellulitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been going to doctors since March of this year.  I would get itchy red bumps that also burned really bad.  The itch is enough to drive someone crazy.  Two doctors basically told me they had no idea what it was and to consult a dermatologist.  Another one told me it was most likely bed bugs.  My apartment has been sprayed twice and they see no bugs.  I scheduled with the dermatologist immediately but it's been a 6 month wait to get in.  I see him the end of this month.  I have gotten this skin irritation on various different locations on my body.  I have a really bad situation going on behind my left thigh.  Went to an Urgent Care clinic tonight because this is the worst it's ever been.  The burning and itching is very intense.  My question is did/does anyone else have intense itching with cellulitis?  Thanks if you can help me.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi su i get the itchys i take anti histamine tabs and it works but would check with doc if you can take them or if they will work worth a chuck if you can
  • Posted

3 weeks ago, I was bitten by deer flies and had cellulitis on both arms that led to severe burning, itching, peeling and swelling on both arms mostly and mild itching on other areas of my body. I tried so many things for the itching...baking soda, hydro-cortisone cream, calamine lotion, real aloe, Benadryl cream and pills, tea leaves, ice packs and more.  Nothing worked, even tried a prescription ointment. It didn't help that I also had an allergic reaction to the Bactrim. I was on day 9 of 10 on the antibiotics when things really flared up (wheezing, itching, red, pain). I was then prescribed singular and I'm pretty sure that I had a reaction to that too, as things flared up again within a few hours after taking it. So, the intense itching and burning could be the result of an allergic reaction too. I couldn't handle the sulfur.  I'd seen the Dr twice and called at talked multiple times. I've stopped taking all the drugs. So, please stay on top of it and see your Dr again or call them again.   I still have redness and slight swelling with a little itch. I'm paying paying close attention and will call my Dr. again if there are negative changes.  If you suspect cellulitis and wouldn't wait until the end of the month. Hopes this helps and you get better soon. smile

• Posted

Thank you, I will have to go back to the doctors coz these drugs aren’t working
  • Posted

3 weeks ago, I was bitten by deer flies and had cellulitis on both arms that led to severe burning, itching, peeling and swelling on both arms mostly and mild itching on other areas of my body. I tried so many things for the itching...baking soda, hydro-cortisone cream, calamine lotion, real aloe, Benadryl cream and pills, tea leaves, ice packs and more.  Nothing worked, even tried a prescription ointment. It didn't help that I also had an allergic reaction to the Bactrim. I was on day 9 of 10 on the antibiotics when things really flared up (wheezing, itching, red, pain). I was then prescribed singular and I'm pretty sure that I had a reaction to that too, as things flared up again within a few hours after taking it. So, the intense itching and burning could be the result of an allergic reaction too. I couldn't handle the sulfur.  I'd seen the Dr twice and called at talked multiple times. I've stopped taking all the drugs. So, please stay on top of it and see your Dr again or call them again.   I still have redness and slight swelling with a little itch. I'm paying paying close attention and will call my Dr. again if there are negative changes.  If you suspect cellulitis and wouldn't wait until the end of the month. Hopes this helps and you get better soon. smile

• Posted

Dina what types of doctors do you have - THEY should follow policies and procedures:

Ask if you can have a blood culture test! 

You seem to have a skin infection - 

That test if it is positive should help help your doctor identify

the specific bacteria or fungi that's causing the infection.

Then tell them you are allergic to Bactrim are you also allergic to penicillin

If you live in the UK just go to A&E - and tell them it has been going on for weeks,

you are fed up of being pushed from pillar to post - if it is cellulitis and it bad and jumping joints

they will probably take you in and give you IV antibiotics. 

• Posted

Susan Hi 

Do you have any other medical conditions:  Diabetes, have you had an accident lately or been bitten, do you have an opened wound. I would suggest you get some anti-bacterial soap - use that for 2 weeks, get some gauze swabs and some sodium chloride irrigation solution to wet the gauze and rub it on the itchy areas.

Go to you GP or the Hospital and ask for a blood test!

Ask after about white blood cell count if it is high or are there any irregularities in the blood culture. They should be able to tell you if you have and infection. 

Let me know how you get on –Spence

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.