Cellulitis after 3 courses of antibiotics

Posted , 6 users are following.

My husband is 79 last month. He was at the wound clinic for a pressure sore on the Tuesday, and I asked the nurse to look at his legs which were red and swollen.She agreed with me that he should be seen at the surgery that day.We were seen by a nurse practioner who agreed with me that it was cellulitis. He was started on 4000 antibiotics  2 x 500 4x a day) This caused terrible diahorria and he became very confused so we called 111 on the Sunday and they sent a Duty Doctor out. He arranged tests and told us to complete the course and we had nurses visiting daily.He had a low temperature. He finished the course but the nurse felt it was not clear so she suggested we phone surgery. More antibiotics but a different sort.He finished those thursday and GP called Friday for a phone consultation. He agreed he needed a third course which finished today. Blood tests ok apart from a fall in heamoglobin from around 120 to around 100 - last test January but kidney test seemed ok and blood and urine ones were taken.

So third course now finished but his legs look swollen and whilst not the bright red are still red and warm. Just do not know what to do next. Hoping  AB still in system and will finish the infection off. I wonder if we should go to the GP again. I cannot cope withthe first antibiotics as just could not keep him in clean dressing gowns and he only weighs 8st 7 anyway so has not got much weight to lose.  

Any ideas? Nurses stopped coming last week but one did say that cellulitis was known to be tenacious. He also has psoriasis and lupus which may be factors in it occuring again.

He also has a couple of red/purple marks under the skin on his calves - one each leg. I initially thought they were scratches but the skin is smooth.  He is not an easy man so do not know what to do for the best.Nurses said if rash went above the knee to call 999 but it is only above the ankle right now. I do worry about septis and realise it can be very serious but am not really sure what to look out for.

Do we just go for a fourth course of antibiotics?  

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

If they do suggest a 3rd course of antibiotics ask for flucloxacilin. Try using Antibacterial hand gel completely from the knees to the toes on both feet/legs 3 times daily until the swelling goes down. Wipe the insides of all footwear with antibacterial wipes each day, but it's better to avoid socks socks and normal footwear opting for Crocs instead. Above all he needs to increase blood circulation through exercise and health foods such as garlic. This should start to show an improvement within a week. Good luck

• Posted

well krug i think your an hero it cant be easy FOR YOU    i would think some more help needed  if scared you need a/e     i have been there with cellulitus why did they stop nurse coming     the more i read this you need help krug     a/e is the place for you if no help you cant be on your own if he is not "easy"

• Posted

Hello Krug22, sorry to hear that your husband is having such a hard time with this cellulitis, but I really don’t know what to say to you or even what to suggest you do because this is my first time dealing with it, I started the antibiotic Cephalexin 500mg every 6hours and I took it for 7 days and it seemed to be clearing up, but by the 7th day my leg was still red and hurting to no avail so I called my gp and he prescribed another antibiotic called Bactrim 800mg twice a day which I started on Monday and today is Wednesday and the swelling has went down, I’m able to walk without pain and the cellulitis seems to be responding to the med. very well. So maybe you should put a call in to your gp and see what he/she suggests it would be worth it and you might even be able to request that the nurse be able to return so you can get some help, but in the mean time just remember that God is a healer and he dosen’tGive us more than we can bare. So please stay encouraged and I will be praying for you and your husband. Sorry that I couldn’t be of more help to you.
    • Posted

Husband was put on Flucloxacillin for 7 days initially - 8 tablets a day. This caused the diahorria and hand on heart, I just could not keep him in clean gowns it was really bad and he must have been at risk of severe dehydration. He also got very confused and told the 111 operator that he had not P**d for days! (I think it was around 12 hours) so there may have been a UTI brewing too.

He has had 2  lots of 7 day courses of the antibiotic starting with D. He does not generally wear socks as he is pretty housebound and only wears them when he goes out.

The nurses stopped coming because his blood pressure did go back to normal and he did  start to eat again. He was told not to take the Fortisips which he relies heavily on with the antibiotics so that was a nightmare too.

I guess it is just so hard as a carer to know when to intervene and get him to the GP. I know that A/B stay in the system so at the moment just 'holding fire' but if the legs get more red then will have to go back to the surgery. He has said they feel taunt though and the legs do look swollen . A/B  on  a drip in hospital as mentioned by the Duty GP if he did not respond. 

Is hospital usually an option for cellulitis that won't respond to A/B?   

• Posted

If he can't take the flucloxacilin orally they need to administer it intravenously. I reacted the same at first so I had to be admitted to a ward so they could monitor my progress and advise accordingly

• Posted

He has phoned GP Surgery and and we are waiting for a callback. His legs are very swollen and I do think someone  medical should have a look at them before the weekend.  I do not know if they have got redder over the last 24 hours but they do seem to be more swollen.
  • Posted

We saw the Nurse Practioner. Just told to wait and see if the redness goes away and to come back next week if no change. She also suggested he keep his legs elevated. If it gets worse or the redness increases then to contact them immediately. She did say that the redness could remain for a while after the infection had cleared so shall just see how it goes over the weekend. 
    • Posted

Gm Hrug22, sorry to hear that you didn’t get many answers from the NP, but I agree with pauluk60.
    • Posted

Suggest that he wiggles his feet each time adverts appear between programmes on the television or radio. Keeping elevated is all well and good, but increasing circulation is too
  • Posted

krug trying to help you is a/e nearby  easy to get to  or phone 999 and ask for ambulance dont want to go over the top but for you need help  and from a lot of symptoms sound serious to me theres nothing you can do  to help only be there for meds      and from what i can read  you up to your neck in it   i had the doc tell me all that what you are hearing   24 hours later on i/v drip for 10 days  maybe i am making you nervous krug dont want to be but someone should be helping you    tell docs you want a second opinion    if it does get better by weekend all well and good but i think it needs more attention for your ease krug
  • Posted

krug if he will let you try to put a light biro mark on round leg above redness to see if its getting better or worse
    • Posted

Thanks Paula - I will put light pen mark on his leg. The A and E is in the city and around a £70 return taxi ride - I do not drive return trip. Yes I would call 999 for an ambulance if it started dramatically spreading and went to his knee . I do know septis is a medical emergency but do not think  he has this.I guess it is a matter of watching and then going back to the GP next week. We are seeing a Geriatric Consultant a week on Monday so at least I can ask him to have a look at it.  I will call 111 over the weekend if he goes downhill  but cannot see what I can do but wait and see. I do not want to get an ambulance out if it is not necessary frankly but I have no medical training so can only do my best........  

• Posted

I have had the SAME out brake for 4 years. The most treatment I have ever gotten is topical corticosteroid.  If Ask more treatment options they tell me I am just over reacting. I'm 57. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.