Cellulitis is back ........ again!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All, am new to this forum but wanted to share my experience with cellulitis. Back at the end of May I suffered a banging headache which lasted about 5 days, was hot & cold for about 3 days then the rash started on my legs. I went to the Gp and was prescribed antibiotics, but after about 5 days in my legs were a lot worse. Severe redness, both legs hurt, could hardly walk so was then prescribed a different antibiotic to take. Ended up having flucloxacilin & penicillin prescribed taking a double dosage of 1000mg 4 times a day for a 6 week duration, complete rest with legs kept elevated & off work for the duration and it finally cleared up. To my horror, symptoms started again last week the headache came, absolutely banging and nothing would touch it, followed by feeling hot & cold and then the rash broke out on my legs which quickly turned to red blotchy skin. Managed to get a Gp appointment, and was prescribed one antibiotic, but telephoned yesterday as symptoms were becoming worse and thankfully was prescribed a double dose again of flucloxacillin & penicillin which hopefully will stop this nonsense. My cause this time I believe was pressure from what I thought was an ingrowing big toe nail, the pain was there for about 3 days and then stopped completely, then the headache started. I have got a review with the Gp on Monday morning, so am hoping the antibiotics kick in soon as I certainly do not want to be laid up for weeks again with this, but am hopeful that it has been caught early enough this time. Does anyone take a low dosage of antibiotics to keep their cellulitis at bay? As I read that this is one way to prevent this from recurring and was thinking of asking my Gp on Monday, many thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah

This condition is serious.

I got it in April this year whilst on holiday and spent a week in hospital (in Phillipines) on I.V. antibiotics after oral antibiotics seemed ineffective. I believe it damaged my veins, lymph drainage system and also infected the bone!

On arrival back in UK I had more antibiotics but it was clear that although the infection was beaten the leg would take a long time to recover. I've had Physiotherapist massage, homeopathic remedies and exercises daily which help the circulation to recover. I went back to work in June but the pain and disturbed nights are only now better after five months! Good luck! Don't give up hope! The Gp may not be able to help except for soothing creams and pain relief. I referred myself to a private physio because my Gp would not refer me. It was a great help!

• Posted

hi Sarah i get recurring cellulitus and take low dose a/bs for life  to try to keep it away  i be honest with you i think you need intro venus a/bs its the only thing that worked for me to stop it  it seems to be going on to long    YOU MUST WATCH or can turn nasty  i did have what they call rescue pack of a/bs but nothing stop it untill  i/vs line was put in14 days first time last was 4     athletes foot is a cause  splits in skin on soles of feet these must be treated   you need to be telling doctor your not happy with treatment not working
  • Posted

Have had a Gp review this morning, thankfully the double dosage of antibiotics seem to be working, pains in legs are easing up now and the blotchy skin has reduced. Am resting up for the rest of this week, keeping legs elevated as much as possible and have another Gp review on Friday. Think I caught it in time this time, thankfully

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.