Cellulitis is spreading

Posted , 4 users are following.

I noticed a few itchy bumps on Thursday on my right lower leg. My Friday morning I had about 18 itchy bumps on my right lower leg and two itchy bumps on my left wrist. By Saturday, I started having bumps underneath my left breast that were itchy.By Sunday morning, I had more bumps on the leg and under the breast as well as bumps on the right side of my face. I went to an urgent care Doctor Who diagnosed me with cellulitis and put me on and antibiotic and a steroid pack. Today, the rash has spread under my breast and my right lower leg. Additionally, I have bumps on my right arm and my left arm. My face is swollen where the bumps are and it has expanded. How long does it take for the cellulitis to respond to antibiotics?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Seriously?  Carol, I had cellulitus on one foot.  The doctors constantly asked if it spread to the other foot.  (It had not.)  That said, I have followed various bouts with this awful infection for almost a year and never heard of it spreading like this.  If it was a bug bite, I guess it got you multilple times.  I am glad you on the steriod pack for the swelling and pain which should give you instant relief.  The antibiotics should show you relief in a day or two.  If you see relief (less redness, areas reduced in size; etc.) it's working, but if it goes the other way again, go right back. One patient on here noted that he put marker dots on the perimeter of their spot to make sure his infected area was not growing.  I like that idea.  I used a cell phone to show the next doctor how I initially presented when I had to go back to other docs as I was misdiagnosed with athletes foot.   Honestly, this sounds odd to be cellulitus.  Sounds more like poison ivy or poison sumac which I get at the drop of a hat (for which I take steroids, a prednisone 6,5,4,3,2,1 pack) My cellulitus was somewhat itchy, but nothing like the poison ivy (but I'd take the PI any day as it's quick to say good-bye, at least til the next season.)  Ok so if cellulitus, good to keep your extremities elevated above your heart.  Ice helped with the swelling as well tho I didn't have but one huge area to ice.  (20 min on/20 mins off, don't want to burn already compromised skin.)  Good luck.  You're in my thoughts and prayers.  

• Posted

Thanks for the info, thoughts, and prayers. I go back to the doctor tomorrow for something that's not related, so I will have him look at it. Fingers crossed.

• Posted

I agree with Jane: If it grows then go back to the Doctor (and drawing around the edge is something they did to me in hospital) but if you feel feverish then go to hospital (as it might be sepsis and you can't mess around with it).

A paracetomol/codeine tablet is a good one for releiving discomfort and taking the edge off any slight feverishness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.