CELLULITIS PAIN RELIEF!! Steroids!

Posted , 6 users are following.

If you have this awful skin infection ask you doctor for one dose of steroids! I just got cellulitis on my lower left buttock a few days ago and I've went to the emergency room twice for the extreme pain. I was prescribed clindomyecin, two pills-four times a day, I was also given a weak painkiller- hydrocodon acetemetaphin 5-350. They do not work well. They barley take the edge off even when I took two. After 4 days of suffering the pain only got worse. I remembered I had leftover a dose of steroids from a root canal serious inflammation issue from two months prior (methylprednisolone 4 mg) there's 21 tablets in a pack, and I had 6 left. With this steroid, you are supposed to take 6 the first day, 5 the second, and so on to taper off. I hadn't finished the pack (I know) but I decided to save it.. THANK GOD I DID. I decided to go ahead and take these remaining 6 steroids. I woke up just 5 hours later and the pain had reduced so incredibly i couldn't believe it. The relief is a godsend. If you have this horrible infection and you're doing everything your doctor asked of you and the infection isn't life threatening where you need hospitalization... TAKE A DOSE OF STEROIDS. You will not regret it.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I agree that the steroid worked wonders for the inflamation and pain.  I was given Prednisone and antibiotics for weeks.  Once the Prednisone (steroid in same 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 pack) was gone, the inflamation returned since my doctor was prescribing antibiotics for athletes foot and not Cellulitis.  As a result, I was on additional (correct) antibiotics for 65 days!  I sat for most of the summer (and ate!) I blew up and eventually went on a diet and ended up with gastro issues - who knew you could actually O.D. on too much lettuce?)  At any rate, a steroid indeed does help.  If you can not make it to the doctors for the script, perhaps he/she could call it in to the pharmacy.  Gotta ask, Swise, was your cellulitis a bug bite?  That can't be fun.  The best to all my fellow-Cellulitus patient/friends. 

• Posted

I have the same problem right now. I had a bump on my

Left cheek turn out it's cellulitis. Constant pain awful condition. I got aintiboitics basically everything you've posted. Started to develop dry skin so i went to the store and got polysporin anti bacterial Cream, gives me some minor relief but nothing really helps.It's been 4 days It hasn't got better actually slightly worse. How long till you seen some improvement and besides the steroids any other suggestions?

• Posted

If the area is getting wider and the area feeling worse, do not wait.  Most don't see instant relief and need to go back, but end up waiting thinking the meds will take a few days.  From this site, I learned a trick to determine if the area is expanding:  mark the area with a marker.  I also took photos but the marker works best.  If the area is expanding so is the infection.  Do not wait.  Also, my primary physician misdiagnosed/treated for weeks.  A dermotologist worked magic.  

When the meds were completed with him, I wasn't happy with the end result - still mild pain remained on my foot and I thought this can't be it, tho he warned it just might be as good as it gets.  It helps to keep the area elevated above your heart, but difficult for you to do given the area.  Go back to your doctor and good luck.

• Posted

Iam going back to the doctors today hopefully everything goes good. After 4 days I should of saw some improvement? And originally I got a shot also to kick start antibiotics. But I will mark the area i
    • Posted

Yes, you should have seen improvement right away or at least in a day or two.  Are you also on steroids?  They hels immediately for the pain and swelling.  The antibiotics help with the infection, of course.  I am not sure why both are not always prescribed.  Good luck, Don.
    • Posted

No just aintiboitics but hopefully I will

Get some answers today when I go in. And also will he mentioning about the steroids. Iam really nervous I want to be on the right medications and get better I hope that it's gotten better better and Iam Just over thinking It but like anyone who's ever had this condition I want this to go away. I don't know how this happen.anyhow Iam praying for the best

• Posted

If you got some steroid prescribed, you should feel relief in half a day.  And if you feel better right away, stay on the steroides.  The flip side is they keep you awake at night - a real catch 22 when sleeping is likely difficult enough.
    • Posted

Went to clinic doc said it's getting worse not I have to go to the ER. She said now I have a abscess and they have to do a bunch a test possibly have surgery

• Posted

Ok, so this sounds like it came on fast and furious.  As I tell you this, know I am not a doctor, but...my sister had boils under her armpit and spoke to her dermatologist who diagnosed her over the phone with something very rarely diagnosed so quickly.  She was one of the lucky ones b/c caught early recurrences are less frequent.  It was Hidradenitis suppurativa (hi-drad-uh-NIE-tis sup-yoo-ruh-TIE-vuh) - a rare, long-term skin condition that features small, painful lumps under the skin. They typically develop where the skin rubs together, such as the armpits, the groin, between the buttocks and under the breasts. The lumps may break open and smell or cause tunnels under the skin. The last 2 sentences were a cut 'n paste from an on-line article.  If it's HS, it needs a certain anti-biotic.  I am not saying that's what you have, but...  Be sure you are seeing a dermatologist.  If it's cellulitis gone bad (or worse, if possible) then this is the first I've heard of any surgical procedures for cellulits, but this is just a forum, not a medical site.  I wish you the best!

• Posted

I must be lucky I never had any pain at all

• Posted

Iam not in excruciating pain but I would more like a uncomfortable throbbing pain. My cellulitis is right on my buttock so sitting and walking is painful. Using the bathroom is a nightmare. Had to go out and buy baby wipes. But your are lucky
  • Posted

Glad I found this discussion. Hoping to get advice. I was stung by a wasp twice in one month which turned into two bad cases of cellulites. First one on my leg I waited almost 3 weeks to get treatment. Entire leg was red hot and excruciatingly itchy but I thought it was silly to go to doctor for a bug bite. They gave me antibiotics and it started improving after first dose. Second time (I was p****d, because a neighbor clearly has a wasps nest) was on my arm, and it spread across my entire arm passed elbow and wrist within 10 hours. So i went in second day and they gave me a steroid and antibiotic but said I don't need to take the antibiotic if steroid does trick. I'm on third dose of Prednisone and it is slowly going away. My question is do you all think, from your experiences that I should also take the antibiotic? I hate to take another round of antibiotics if I don't need to but sounds like some of you said the infection came back after you did the round of steroids? Thanks for any advice!

• Posted

Hi Swise, did you just take one dose and all the infection was gone? I got the cellulitis since for almost 3 weeks, I started to take the oral antibiotics 8 days after it happens, not working admitting to hospital now for 5 days on both oral and IV antibiotics, still not working , the area gets bigger and swollen and hot. This morning the doctor gave me a dose of steroid, as you said within 5 hours all the swelling and redness are quite down but still little bit hot. So I am wondering did u continue to

take the steroid and antibiotics after you feel better? If yes, how much longer? Thanks !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.