Cellulitis rapid, extremely painful

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started with extreme fatigue, then vomiting, temperature and uncontrollable shivering. It wasn't until the next day that I discovered a hot, red rash on my leg that quickly spread from ankle to knee. I was given oral antibiotics at out of hours doctors. The next day I was worse, severe pain, temperature and delirious. My gp admitted me to hospital where it was difficult to obtain bloods or insert a cannula due to veins not being accessible. I was finally treated with iv antibiotics for 4 days in hospital and 3 days outpatients. The pain and swelling in my leg had not improved so on return to gp restarted oral antibiotics. Now seeing some improvements after nearly three weeks. This infection came out of nowhere, no bite or skin issue. It is extremely painful and made me feel very ill. I understand from my own research it can return once you've had it. My gp has requested a blood test in 4 weeks time. Anyone else out there with it, has it recurring or has any tips on dealing with cellulitis please comment.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

yep trudy had all THREE TIMES now on low dose a/bs for as long i am here  as you now horrible terrible cant say enough about the thing   now may b going to much but its habit with and lots of others of coming back mine was start of spring maybe going out with legs uncovered  cant be sure start of autumn but no matter now you have had it BEWARE that shivering chills talking daft  but the wife says i always do it but next is SEPSIS JUST B AWARE  not now as they have check you out hope leg clears well but it  took time   ulcers  but only once
    • Posted

Thanks for reply. Am now concerned about return to work. Want to get back to normal but so concerned as primary school environment can produce knocks to the legs and teaching pe 4 times a week also has implications. Was so for and healthy this has been a shock . Hope you are well now.
  • Posted

I had it a few years ago big rash on my leg,I had IV for a week,they came round to my house to do it, wasn't in any pain at all,also had three weeks of antibiotics by mouth before it cleared,not had it since.

• Posted

hi trude dont know how reliant you on your j just like but will they be helpful to you if you go back yep many traps but hopefully leg will should heal up nicely may sound daft but thick socks at first and see how you go

• Posted

well done brad iyou had once just give legs a check it seems it loves me i could all but c it moving up leg

• Posted

my neighbor has it in his ankle. was in the hospital for @ 7 days then to a facility for @ 6 more days. While in the facility they gave him 2 shots in his stomach for 2 days. Anyone know what and why?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.