Cellulitus in my scalp

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I am fairly new on here. About 4-5 weeks ago I experienced a pain in my head like nothing I have had efore. I do get migraines but this was totally different. My glands were hugely swollen on the right side of my head/neck, I had a temperature and my scalp was very soreto touch and red. I thought I may have had shingles, but the doctor said I didn't. I was due to fly t Ausralia for my daughters wedding, and felt so poorly I was thinking I would.t be able to go. Even thou the doctor knew I had a long haul flight ahead of me they just told me to take pain killers, as I think they thought i was stressed induced headaches due to the fact I do not like flying.Within 2 days of arriving in Australia I was so poorly ( the flight also wa a nightmare as I was in such pain in my head...I didnt even care about the flight!) that I had to go to my daughters doctor. He was shocked when he saw my scalp ( the doctor in the uk didnt once look at my scalp even though I said it was so sore and tender) and immediately prescribed a course of antibiotics, and pain killers. I began to feel better within 2 days. When I went back to get the test results (I had to get blood tests) he told me I had cellulitus in my scalp. I had to have a further course of anti biotics. I am now back in the U.K. Has anyone else had this? andhow do you get it? I am otherwise fit and healthy. I do feel a bit annoyed that I wasnt given any antibiotics in the UK - especially as I had such swollen glands an a high temperature, and they knew i had a long-haul flight. They did test me for something called G.C.A which came back negative, and then they just seemed to give up. I hardly ever go to the doctor and when I went 1 day before the flight and said how much pain I was in and how ill I felt. they just said " I am sure once you get to Australia you will e ok, but if it gets worse go to a doctor out there"

Reading some of the other post on here about cellulitus it seems to recur and I am now worried mine will also.  Any feed back woul be appreciated

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Apologies for poor typing/spelling! I am still jet lagged!! rolleyes
  • Posted

Hi olive62,

That's a new one to me...I've never heard of it in the scalp nor would I think of it bc cellulitis tends to come up in more fleshy areas. Very interesting...but cellulitis is usually a symptom from something else so why do they think you would get it there?? For instance my lymphoedema will be lifetime so that's why my cellulitis will most likely return due to the swelling that comes with it. But if I can keep the swelling down I won't necessarily get cellulitis. Asked them that bc it's not making sense...there's a reason for it. Keep me posted...I'm very curious and I'll be waiting to hear....ladyjack51

• Posted

Hi ladyjack51

Thank you for the reply. I do not know why he said that! cry I presumed it was as a result of the blood tests. I cannot really ask the doctor easily now, as I have returned from Australia. I am awaiting the medical report from him so I can TRY to claim back the costs- you have to pay for doctors appointments etc, so maybe that will make it more clear. I just hope that I have seen the back of it.

• Posted

Hi, really sorry to hear that.

Could it be an insect bite or a scrape?

Always push doctors to give you a STRONG antibiotic course asap. They always seem reluctant sad

• Posted

It started really suddenly at work, I am a chef  wrking in a very busy kitchen. The pain was so sharp and so very painful it took my breath away. I guess it may have been a bite....I dont know, Im annoyed with myself that I didnt ask for antibiotics now but you think " they are the doctors that have done all the training........they must know best"....rolleyes
  • Posted

I got it first in my ear through a break in the skin caused by eczema - I have since had recurring problems with cellulitis elsewhere but I don't think they were linked and it might be that, as it doesn't seem to be in one of the "classic" sites there might not be an underlying cause (other than the obvious - skin bacteria getting trapped under the skin when a break in it heals over). It is possible you just scratched your head and made a small nick with the sharp edge of a nail or something similar.

So finger's crossed you could just put it down to being "just one of those things", just one with unfortunate timing. There is certainly no reason to worry about it at the moment, but keep an eye open for it and seek treatment asap - don't be shy about making sure you leave with antibiotics. If you experince high fever and other flu-like symptoms (especially confusion and the more serious issues) then go to A&E and tell them you also seem to have sepsis. So don't worry, but be prepared so you can move quickly if it rears its ugly head in the future.

• Posted

Yes definately the timing was very bad! rolleyes but even at my great age (!) after running my own business having 3 children etc etc etc when I go t the doctors I just bow to their advice, but believe me from now on I shall stand my ground from now on! Thank you for the reply.
    • Posted

I agree with Emps.....ya know, hair stylist, doctors, preachers,... all those people.... we tend to think, like you said, they are trained and know what to do better than you do. And I get that. However, nobody knows your body better than you do and when you feel in your gut that they're wrong about something.... they cut your hair too short or the doctor is wrong about something he's telling you or the pastor is wrong about something he's telling you... you have to not be scared to tell them and bring it to their attention. Most times we are paying for their service! We're paying for it so you have every right to speak up and make them take a moment to focus on you instead of just treating you like a number. Ladyjack51
    • Posted

I haven't ever felt like a number, as far as I can recall, but this (and other things) have made me realise you can't just expect to turn up and say "treat me" - you've got to be a partner in this effort and shouldn't just rely on them. I'm much improved now and that is partly down to my taking a modicum of control and doing my own research (which my GP was happy with, I did use peer-reviewed journals which possibly helped on that front. It is also heartening to find out I've been right every time so far, but it did take over 6 months for everyone else to agree with me), which has helped trigger more tests and moved my treatment on quicker than it would have done otherwise. The main delay in my gtting properly treated was my not taking it more seriously and pushing harder for treatment - I should really have gone to A&E months before I did, but I know that now thanks to hindsight, so I'm not going to blame myself (or anyone else) but I'm not going to make the same mistake again.

After all - they have lots of patients to look after, you have one wink

• Posted

I have been more proactive with this issue and my GPs have been fine with it (even grateful). You don't have to get pushy, but it is important to get the right treatment as quickly as possible (which also means taking it more seriously - something I've not always done, whcih has delayed my treatment as well as putting me at risk).
    • Posted

I have read all your replies on my return from work....and taken them all on board! I shall be much more proactive and involved from now on. I hardly ever go to the doctors, luckily for me, and hope that doesn't change, However in the future I will speak up if I feel I am not getting the correct treatment. To be honest I felt SO poorly and in so much pain I was convinced I had a brain tumour or something else equally scary, so when all the tests were negative I was just glad it wasn't anything like that.redface
    • Posted

Ok olive62,

You complain a time or two in your previous posts about how your Dr didn't even look at your scalp initially and you just did what they said...as well as a couple of other things. I urged you to be assertive etc and also told you that cellulitis is usually started by something...whether it's a bite or much swelling tearing the skin, bacteria on your fingers, could be many things. You have defended the Dr each time and kind of disagreed with me...so I'm not sure what you want Or what you are asking...it WILL keep coming back if the cause stays. That's the answer to your question about it reoccurring. I wish you luck and God's blessings. Ladyjack51

• Posted

Thank you Ladyjack 51 - I didnt realise I had disagreed with you? thank ypu for all your comments and advice

• Posted

Hello I was just in er Sunday night due to intense pain on my right side of my face mostly above my ear a d tempel area. I've been on antibiotics but the pain is still incredible never felt this kind d of pain before any tips to relieving the pain. I just want to relieve the presure

Mesa az USA

help me plz

• Posted

That sounds similar to mine the pain was really bad. I found that paracetamol extra strength and Ibuprophen helped to ease it a bit. But it only really started to get better when the Antibiotics started to work. I really feel sorry for you! I hope that you will soon be feeling better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.