Cellultuis

Posted , 6 users are following.

My daughter who had cellulitis on her knee 2 years ago. Test negative on the wound. Fast forward, the same knee tested + for MSSA and has been on 2 different antibotics. She currently finished her oral medicine. Her knee is still tender to touch when you pressed on it. It is normal and a good sign that it is working and going away eventually? Or does that mean she need more antibotics to the knee?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diana. Your daughter may need more antibiotics. Mine was a really bad case. From the knee to my ankle it looked like I had put my leg in a chip pan. It was dressed and the district nurse came in 3 times a week to change the dressing. I continually took many different antibiotics. It seems to me that she might need to go back to her doctor for more meds. Wish her good luck from me.

• Posted

Hi Diana,

What medications has your daughter been given and when her knew was bad what was the wound management dressing and medical procedures. Was she in double layer compression comfi-fast and did she have an a gapping would or gash - you must keep the site on her leg bacteria free at all times. does your daughter have diabetes, all factors to consider or any other immune system issues. I am not a doctor but i have had extensive training with dealing with my own because health providers can sometimes get things wrong - the site will be tender and red and flare up most of the time because of the layers of skin have been damaged - ask for a culture test of her blood and a swab and take photos of every week to maintain a record and progression.

• Posted

Hi again,

My daughter had her first cellultius 2 years ago on the same knee. The redness was a size of tennis ball with white dot in the middle. We feel she may have dry skin on the knee with tiny cut and belong to Cheer team with their floor mat? Otherwise a bug bitten into the knee?

She was bouncing around on the trampoline, running around, and ate her dinner. And all of the suddenly she had fever at 103, headache and a bit of stomach ache.

Next day, she stayed home from school. She slept on the couch for most part of the day. She yelled and said I can't move my leg? I was like, okay, something is seriously wrong here? I flipped the blanket back and saw she has a HUGE redness on her knee a size of tennis ball. I knew then that has to be the reason for the fever, headche, and stomach ache. I took her to the walk in clinic. The DR did a cultured swab onto the wound. A phone call says she tested negative for MRSA. But I don't recall they mentioned 'MSSA' on the phone. They gave her 2 rounds of antibotics liquid kelf I think.

Fastfoward, She was complaining her knee was bothering her. I didn't think of it again. Until a few days later my daughter showed me her knee. That when I remembered she had it 2 years ago. Then I saw the redness again but smaller but the white dot was bigger. It the same knee and same area! She was put on Kelf and then Barium (both times was 7 days). Then skin peeled but it look like a scar. However, if you pressed on the knee it hurt. We noticed we can see the knee is still slightly swell. Does this mean she have fluid from the cellultuis or if that the medications she was on causing it?

• Posted

Yes. I kept a photo for the knee from 2 years ago and now too. May I ask why didn't they do both cultured for the wound and in the nose? Shouldn't have they done both?

2 years ago, walk in clinic only swab/cultured the wound and blood work. Fastward, blood work and cultured to the nose but not on the wound of the knee.

No diabetics run in our family.

We do now make sure her knee is covered at all time including her other knee just too afraid she get it on the other knee too.

It been a week and half now that she is not on any antibotics but her knee look like a scar but she still have some swell in her knee. When you pressed on the knee she says it hurt. Does that mean she need more antibotics to clear up completely? I was reading that fluid can be build up ? But that not good to hear this too.

• Posted

hi di i have cellulitus 3 times so be wary of it i amm now on abs for life low dose spence knows what he is sayingall i can say i had to have the abs introvenous for 10/14 days then the follow wih doc and bless them district nurses compression bandage now socks but always b wary of it can lead to sepsis

• Posted

That exactly what I am worried about with her future with small cut, open cut, surgeries for anything, and etc. I hate having to worry about her getting infection going into the blood stream / sepsis. She currently have 2 cellulitis and molluscum contagiosum. She is on antibotics for bactrim. We are going back for a follow up and this time I am hoping the primary DR will send us to the Infectious DR (ID) to get this under control. Also, I have to ask what is abs for life low does? What medicine is that?

• Posted

Hi.

I have had Cellulitis too ( on my Tummy).

Horrible stays in hospital on IVs.

I have however not had it for about 5 years and I believe it is because I use Tea tree oil lotions / or creams daily on that area and in my navel and any creases.

It really works for me .

I use a "plantation" brand we have in New Zealand.

Good Luck.

• Posted

She hasn't gone to the hospital yet for IV. Thankfully the 2 different antibotics oral pills were helping (the 2nd one work). We are back on here because she have 2 cellulitis and molluscan contagiosum. It is so frustrating that means she had 3 cellulitis this year!

• Posted

Hi,

I am back. My daughter had another cellulitis AND molluscum contagiousm. They were both on her buttock. We saw a different doctor (not her primary) as it was Christmas holiday. This DR gave her Sulfamethoxazole TMP (Bactrim) for 7 days. She will finish her medicine this coming Thursday, Dec 27th. After seeing the DR a day later she called me out, Mom, come and look here. We found another one in front of her thigh (kind of like between but its more front). Why is this coming up if she is on antibotics?

If she's getting recurrence cellulitis. At what point should our primary DR now to let us go see an infectious doctor for referral? I think ID would be able to explain to us better what possibly why she's getting them? Also, its easier to let the ID keep a record/history if it continues to pop up again? Do you think recurrence is causing by auto immune? I am worried that antibiotics is going to start resistance her body to the point she no longer can't fight off?

She's only 12 years old. I feel horrible that she has this skin infection keep coming back!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.