Cerazette vs generic

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went to the gp today to get cerazette after doing days of reading on it and finally convincing myself that I would give it a try. Before that I read that people who were doing well on cerazette were given cerelle and it messed them up. So I made sure to tell my dr I want cerazette not cerelle, she said they don't prescribe it anymore and has given me not cerelle but literally a generic version. Just says desogestrel 75mg on the box. There are no reviews on this, just horror stories of people being switched to cerelle which is also another cheaper version of cerazette.

I don't know whether to buy brand name cerazette privately or just take what is effectively the same drug. I don't understand why the same drug but branded differently gives people such a different outcome. I like to research and this has no name specifically to research.

Does anyone have any experience with cerazette and the NHS generic version.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi charlotte1824

I been on Cerelle for 3 weeks I think, I finished the who first strip. Anyway, I read very negitive thing and was very worried about taking it. But it hasn't given me any nasty side affect, apart from a headache for the first two days.  It might not be the pill for you but unless you try it you just don't know. 

I don;t get why they change names of brands, read somewhere it was because one is cheeper to manifacter.

• Posted

Thank you for letting me know your experience. I don't need it for contraception I wanted to take it because I get a lot of headaches and spot/bleed 2-3 weeks out of every month plus I have endometriosis. I think my hormones are a bit confused and I thought it might balance me out a bit and stop the menstrual headaches, pmt, etc. My mood is generally good though and I am worried it will turn me into a depressed angry monster but as you say I can only try to see what happens!

• Posted

charlotte1824,

That's alright, when I first took it I looked it up a lot as it's hard to know if these things are okay to take or not, For me it slowed the bleeding down a lot but did't dragg it out. I think if you take it at the same time everyday it stops break through bleeding and I've only had two headaches on it.  I used to always get headaches. I've read it can cause spots, but has not on me and has not changed my mood or made my already bad anxiety worse, which I was very worried about, but it can be different for everyone, however, if it doen't suit you you can just stop taking it and look into something else. Good luck.

• Posted

I went to collect my prescription today and my go had changed it without saying anything.  Having read the posts before hand I took it back and insisted on Cerazette.  It is not that it can't be prescribed anymore it just a lot lot more expensive than the generics including cerelle.  Cerazette is Circa 75%more expensive and like anything in life you get what you pay for.  Personally it took me ages to get used to Cerazette so I'm not changing even if I have to buy privately at some point.

• Posted

I bought it privately,  lloyds chemist was the cheapest. My gp said it wasn't even on their system to prescribe anymore.

I still haven't taken it yet. 

• Posted

This just happened to me. After 2.5 months on Cerazette, they gave me Desogestrel. Yes, same ingredient but due to the numerous stories I've read about problems with changing, I went back and questioned it, only to be told it's exactly the same. I reluctantly accepted my pills and went home. Started reading the patient leaflet and right near the end of it, there was a warning that this shouldn't be taken by people allergic to peanuts or soy! As a life long peanut allergy sufferer this shocked me as I could have easily taken them without even reading the leaflet!

Nurse didn't mention it, neither did the chemist, although this is on my patient record as I have been admitted with anaphylaxis in the past. Going back in 2 days, hopefully to pick up a Cerazette prescription. Not impressed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.