Certolizumab

Posted , 5 users are following.

I saw the Rheumatologist toaday and discussed treatment with biologics.   He'll be requesting approval for a start on certolizumab; however, the requirements are for at least 5 large joints to be affected, I only have four so I'm not expecting aproval will be forthcoming.   Another interesting facet of this is assuming approval is forthcoming I can only try five biologics, if none work supply will be cut and I can't apply for more for five years.   Yet another way out government cares for our health and well being.   I wonder if the rules would be changed if a politician was in the same boat.  

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Are you in US? Its not quite like that here. They assess you on bloods as well as painful joints. When they press on your figure joints to test pain I always said there were more hurting even if they weren't. Its not a good way of assessing someone with RA as we change daily. Hope you get through! 5 biologicals sound like you should find at least one that works!

• Posted

I'm in New Zealand and even less of us are funded for biologics, they're really expensive.  I'm not, but maybe in a few years.  But still, we could be in a really poor country and get nothing so, could be worse!

• Posted

Hi Tony I've been on cimzia (certolizumab) since January. Here in the UK they do a sum, they take the number of joints affected then +, or X the blood scores and get a figure and if the figure is high enough u get to go on biologics. It must b consistent because after a flare in 2014 my score wasn't high enough so started sulfasalazine which had no effect then at the end of 2015 after the worse flare that left me functionless my score jumped do I became eligible for biologics. I did well on it at the beginning. Let us know if you start it and how your doing on it. G.

• Posted

Hi. Hopefully I will start this in a few days time. So far it's being put of because of the paperwork, and consultant not being there. I hope this calms my RA down, cause currently can't live without pain killers, swing pain management now, few weeks seeing occupational health for my hands. As this is where I experience alot of pain, as well as my knees and elbows. Left my job cause of this awful disease, can't get any employment now, although I don't look look ill , just by putting down I have RA on application forms. Employers just aren't interested!! Have had several job where I've had a telephone health interview, but still no no, with employers. Too be honest life was great, now it's rubbish.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.