Cervical 5-6 large bulging disc

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have had the c5-6 buldging disc for a year and a half. When I lay down at night I still get tingling and pain in the first 3 fingers on whatever side I am sleeping on (right or left) and my ear will also tingle. My hands and forearms hurt now during the day but my fingers don't tingle . My hand feels swollen but doesn't look swollen. My legs feel tired now, kinda like tickley. I have had traction for 5 months 3 times a week and have noticed it's helped a little with my auxiliary pain but sleeping still terrible. What to do

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi There,

Sorry to say that I am in an extremely similar position. Recentley I decided to go and see a consultant in London to see if he had a different view to my local hospital. I sent a copy of my MRI to him a few weeks before going and then when I seen him he was astonished that I had not been told that the disc would need to be removed. He is now writing to my local hospital to see if an up to date MRI, Spect-CT Scan and a Nerve function test can be carried out so that all will be clear and current. He will then pressure them to sort this on the NHS. The cost of this consultant was just £300 and it was worth evry penny.

• Posted

I have to agree a private consultation is a good thing if you have the money. I have done the same thing twice in the uk and once here in Spain but we have paid our contributions in my case 45 years and feel annoyed that I had to take such a step. And, the ones in the uk my MRIs and xrays were misread.

Further I actually had to pay for my operation. One which was never offered to me.

Personally there is something happening in the uk health system and its not lack of mine........we will never know but I have an idea.

I feel quitecworried what will happen when we come back to the uk and we are only here in spain because it is cheaper to live as a pensioner

• Posted

Sadly I was injured at work and on top of that I also have a slap tear and torn rotator cuff that can't be addressed till my disc is taken care of... Every time the PT tries to strengthen my shoulder the nerves in my shoulder n neck causes lol the muscles in my right shoulder, neck, and arm and hand on the right side to completely lock down... Such a frustrating situation. I would love to go private insurance because the hell I am living in would have been over a year ago...

My question is that is it normal for the tingling to lesson and the pain to intensify...

• Posted

The tingling and pain varies as your muscles relax or contract.

The point about the private consultation is that they can give you a clear and quick answer from a consultatant that is way above the person you will see locally. they will give diagnosis and the you take the diagnosis to your Doctor to refer you through the correct channels. In my case £300 is what it has cost to be told that instead of Fibromyalgia I have at least one disc that needs to come out.

I am now waiting for a local response from his diagnosis.

They tell you that there's nothing to worry about but when it is you on your own it is difficult. Chin up a little and I hope you are feeling a bit better today.

PS. was your work not insured to cover you for this injury ?? They should be and then you could use their insurance to go private all the way

• Posted

Graham. I went through the public sector here in Norway. Ok it took time but once I was in system at Oslo I was seen and had 2 discs replaced. Now pain in arms which stopped me raising them above my head are now pain free. I've still got other needing replacement but they will be done after full recovery of this operation to C5 - C6 & C6- C7.
    • Posted

Thats great to hear, I am confident that once they have operated I will be in great shape.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.