cervical collar

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all

had an appointment with my gp today and have to say she is very understanding of my condition, i explained that im not sleeping because of the pain , and i did try the \"pillow\" but to no avail and did she think it would be beneficial to try a soft collar, she immediatly phoned the physio dept and arranged for someone to phone me asap to go and get a fitting for one as an emergency,but of course with my experience of the hospitals i wouldnt be surprised if i had the app after my surgery!!!! we,ll see though eh they might just surprise me keep you posted. gail

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi all me again

the gp did state that it is not beneficial to wear the collar through the day as it could weaken the muscles(and i dont want any more problems)

gail

• Posted

Hi Gail,

Here's hoping you get the collar soon. But as you know.....saying and doing have no correlation in the NHS :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best wishes

TFU

• Posted

hi yeh dont we know it more than most.
  • Posted

:D well i am in total shock

true to her word i had a phone call this morning and asked if i could call up to the local hospital tomorrow to get a fitting for a collar!! i didnt expect it so soon but i aint complaining. so one piece of good news eh. gail

• Posted

Well done Gail,

You must be so pleased. That's first night of good sleep will be bliss!!!! You'll know it's good when you need an alarm clock again to wake you up in the morning.

TFU

• Posted

ok had the collar fitted and have to say the gent that fitted it was a wealth of info he told me more about my op than the surgeon???? apparently he has appointments at morriston to fit the cervical collars once the discectomys are done, he explained what type of collar i would have (depending on the surgeon) and for how long then go onto a soft collar, then physio etc he was brill, he asked how long since i injured myself and when i told him he was astonished i hadnt had the surgery yet, well i didnt let myself moan (whats the point) and said he,d probebly see me again soon at morriston to do my fitting. heres hoping for some sleep tonight.gail
  • Posted

Never heard of needing a fitting session for a soft collar. Every time I have been given one, all they done was grab the sizes they had in the dept and try to see which one is best. Takes all of 2 minutes or less if the first one is right size.

Uncomfortable to sleep in though. Mine lasted one night before I found I could barely move my head in the morning.

• Posted

hi darren yeh i thought \"why a fitting\" but its to measure my neck, for length and width to make sure its not to high, and different types i might need, due to the prolapses in my neck causing swelling, so he tried a few after the measuring and we settled on a soft bead? one thats narrow at the back so not to push on the spine, it felt comfy but tonight will tell eh, it may join the pillow lol. gail
  • Posted

hi all update on the collar(god got to get myself a life lol)

well up at 2.30am with the pain so after the pain meds i put the collar on and slept til 7 this morning with no lasting effects so hopfully i have found something that will help, it did take a few minutes to get comfy but then no bother. but i will only use it when i cant get to sleep through the pain, i dont want to risk weakening the neck muscles on top of everything else. gail

• Posted

Hi Gail,

Pleased to hear that the collar is helping. I suppose that it's like anything, you get used to it after a while. Are you going to retrieve the pillow and try them together?

Best wishes

TFU

• Posted

hi tfu no not bothering with the pillow, think once you get a bad result sort of puts you off. still sleeping without pillows have done now for 2 yrs.

just wondering if you were going to put a pm on your \"space\" would be good to private message occationally. having a good day today , my work colleagues called up and friends of mine called, the only thing is that it does make me realize how much i miss work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.