Cervical degeneration/ and pins and needles in face and temples

Posted , 6 users are following.

I began having neck ache and a super tight sternocleidomastoid muscle on the right side about 1-month ago. I had X-rays and the following diagnosis.

The cervical curve is irregular at C3-C6 on the right

and at C3-C5 on the left.

The cervical lordosis is reduced. The cervical gravity line is shifted

anteriorly. Apparent retrolisthesis of C4 and C5 , (disks slipping fwd)

Disc space narrowing and spondylphyte formation at C2-T1, at least moderate at C4-C6 along with intercalary bone formation.

Uncovertebral hypertrophy at C4 on the left and C5-C7 right but more than left. Facet hypertrophy is also appreciated at C7-T1 on the right.

Since then, this past 3 weeks I've been getting tight temples and pins and needles in jaw line, sporadically. It always seems to happen when I'm sitting down; either reading, watching TV or when I am on my Mac..or IPhone.

The tight temples feel like a tight band, that suddenly comes and then goes. If I'm up and about, walking or out shopping or out with friends, I do not seem to get this odd feeling.

Can someone shed a light on this? Is it nerve roots that are being pinched? I have another appointment with my Osteopath when I get back from my holiday but I thought I ask in this forum in the meantime.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I can't comment specifically except that using a computer or iPhone is generally bad for the neck and walking good. So more walking/exercise in general I would recommend anf probably see a physical therapist and/or chiropractor.

• Posted

Hi,

Wow, I am impressed with the information you have regarding your cervical spine. My letter from my neurologist basically states, I have a bit of arthritis not uncommon for my age.

As it happens I have cervical stenosis with spondylosis and myolepathy at C4 5 6 and 7, osteophyts at same levels and a total fusion of cervical spine needed but not recommended by neurosurgeon.

Sounds to me as though your bone spurs,osteoophyts, are compressing the spinal cord possibly levels C5 6 and 7.

A while back I paralysed myself by raising my left arm above my shoulder hight. There was an almighty shock from top of left shoulder, along top of shoulder and up neck to ear level. My left arm and left side of face were dead, not numb, but DEAD. Lasted 3 minutes while I gently manipulated left arm with right hand until I felt sensation coming back. Should have been paralyzed for life according to my neurosurgeon.

Personally, I would hold on any manipulative treatments until you know full story.

Mike.

• Posted

I would suggest a EMG and a MRI then go see a good neurologist. Try anything before you do a fusion as it just destroys the rest of your spine, good luck.
  • Posted

I have not suffered this with my Cervical Spondylosis only numbness in my left arm.  As my head keeps dropping down and after two MRI scans I am now being referred to a Neurology clinic.  I have been told that it is not an Orthopedic issue so have been dismissed from that clinic and referred back to my GP.   
  • Posted

What has been your experience with epidural steroid injection (ESI)?
  • Posted

Google 'text neck' and 'forward head position' and you'll find more info than you can ever read about these things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.