Cervical Dystonia getting better

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've had slight tremors in my neck for years, and the past 2 to 3 years it got worse.  Especially when I'm nervous, but basically all the time, at least slightly.  It always looks like I'm shaking my head "no".  Went to 2 neurologists - 1 said Essential Tremor, the other said Cervical Dystonia since it is worse when my head is in certain positions.  It's become really bad when I'm driving for some reason (not sure if I'm stressed because the highways are filled with nuts, or if it's some kind of inner-ear related balance thing). The only option the neurologist gave was botox injections..  Since my condition is not horrible all the time (only SOME of the time), I decided to wait until I couldn't take it anymore to try Botox.

In the meantime, I did research and reading about not just dystonia, but nervous system conditions.  I thought I'd let others know what I've tried because my condition has been getting markedly better - on my drive in to work this morning, I hardly shook at all.  I AM NOT a doctor nor suggesting people try this, but maybe research and look into the list below.

1. Prayer - I'm a Christian and turn to God in times of trouble and in times of celebration. I prayed that my condition would improve, if it was His will, and that I'd have the strength to deal with it if it wasn't.  I didn't improve overnight, but I knew that God had my back no matter what, and would point me in the right direction.

2. Magnesium L-Threonate - I read this is the best type of magnesium for "brain use" and that magnesium deficiency is prevalent and can lead to neurological issues

3. Vitamin D and K - to go with the magnesium

4. Vitamin B complex

5. Fish oil supplements

6. Astaxanthin supplements

7. Calming herbal supplements (Calm Thoughts by Source Naturals. I've also used Tremenol which is on Amazon too). I figured if my tremors were worse when I was nervous, calming my nervous system could only be a benefit

8. Muscle rolling my neck and back - with a tennis ball against the wall.  Only for about 10 minutes, deep rolling my neck and shoulder/upper back muscles

9. Pilates/core work.  I did this originally for back pain which got a lot better, but maybe it's also contributing to my neck muscles calming down.

That's my list - I hope it helps someone!  

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.