cervical myelopthy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all ,

just been diagnosed with this after two bouts of hospital stays and two mri scans one on my head (thought i had a stroke) and the second on my neck which showed a restriction and a disk bulge , have just been discharged with lots of drugs including oramorph for pain which i have severe , also got the numbness in my left arm and hand and pins and needles in the left hand , at the moment im trying to get the pain relief at a steady flow to continue but finding it very hard , also very unsteady on my feet and seem to be having problems with walking and coordination , cant grip with my left hand luckily im right handed so am able to do some things , Have spoken to my family GP who has asked the neurologist to review the scan results and send his report , then im going to ask for a neurosergeons take on it and see what his opinion on the results is , Im only 41 and am very active and at the moment finding it very hard and fustrating in not being able to do all that i once did .

rob

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hiya Rob, smile

Sorry you have CS sad

When I was first diagnosed with CS, I couldn't believe that it could cause sooooo much trouble to a persons body, I thought I was having a heart attack, I almost blacked out, lost sensations in my arms, and was dizzy and disorientated, the pain was something else

You really need to have MRI. a scan on your neck and upper back

I found resting was the only relief I had, luckily I didn't work so it was easy for me.

I had an op 17 months ago to relieve the numbness aned pain in my arms/hands, it has helped, but nothing can cure CS. I take each day as it comes, if I have a good day I make the most of it.

Stay strong

Take Care

Em smile

• Posted

Rob,

Sorry, meant to say you need to see a neurosurgeon who specializes in CS.

Myeopathy is secondary to CS, it's the weakness you feel when you can't open a bottle of milk or hold a cup of tea, things like that .( I have Myelopathy and Scoliosis)

I only repeat what I have been told by my Rheumatologist and Neurosurgeon.

Take Care

Em smile

• Posted

Hi Em

and thanks for that , I have had an MRI of the neck and its been confirmed that i have a norrowing of canal at c5/6 and a disc bulge and its narrowed just above as well . We are waiting on what the neurologist says first then I will ask to see a neurosergeon and see what his thoughts are , Im also waiting now for someone to come and assess my home and see if I need any aids, finding it hard to walk around at the minute as very unstable. The pain is emense and one cant describe what its like but i normally can take pain but this is something else

rob

• Posted

Hiya Rob, smile

Sorry, had I read your post properly doh! Put it down to a senior moment :roll:

The op I had was to widen my spinal cord, it was causing exactly what you describe, it crushes the nerves in your cord ,and what are usually normal signals coming down your spine get all mixed up and confused, unless you have expirienced this it is hard to imagine what it does to you, blimey I hope I never go through that again. :shock: It scares the bejasus out of me.

If you have a toot in the \"Home rRmmedies \" there is some good advice there.

Good Luck let us know how you get on

Em :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.