Cervical Rib Syndrome

Posted , 2 users are following.

i have also just found out i have Cervical Rib, an x ray showed two ribs in my neck, sad am really worried, ive read so many storys on this and seen so many pictures. i am 28 this year and never knew i had it. i went to the hopstal to talk about this and the doctor told me it would get worse as i get older, around late 40's to 50's am not really showing any signs of it yet, back ache, the odd tingling in my fingers and some times the top of my back and neak feels weak. but thats it. am hoping it stays that way.

i feel lost and worried and there doesnt seem to be much help out there.

:?

x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Icegem, apparently this is quite common, and many people don't even know they have these extra ribs. I discovered mine recently after visiting an osteopath for neck and shoulder pains, and tingling in my fingers.

If it gets really bad, it's treatable either by a minor op to remove the ribs or by some kind of steroid injection, but I would have thought at 28 you'd be able to avoid things getting this bad. Try to get yourself to an osteopath or make a point of having a regular neck and shoulder massage. Posture is often a problem, so finding an Alexander Technique practitioner would also help. If you work at a desk, try to sit upright and not lean over your keyboard (this was one of my downfalls), and never, ever, ever wear a bag over your shoulder (this was my main downfall, and the cause of most of my problems).

I don't know why only some of us have this. I like to think it's cos we're higher up the evolutionary ladder than everone else! :D

Try not to worry - tensed muscles will make it worse - and look after yourself.

Kikifrog x

• Posted

Hi

Don't worry - If they're causing you no problems leave them well alone!

Just had to put a note - It is [b:2614de28e9]not[/b:2614de28e9] a simple operation and many people regret having surgery as complications can arise.

Yes correct posture is a factor - best to see a physio to gently help with trapped nerves (do not do anything that causes pain) get checked out because of possible trapped arteries e.g. MRI scan.

have a look at the ATOSA help forum for more information.

(see my previous post)

I found I had 2 extra ribs 9 months ago after being tested for carpal tunnel - I have lived an active life for 49 years, and I intend to remain being active! Best of luck.

• Posted

smile Hi,

I am 30, and like you have the same thing. Try not to get frightened by the literature out there. It's not a good thing to have, but then what is. I recommend physio, as I have it once a week and traction helps with the neck pain and weakness. Acupuncture also helps too. Some days are good, some bad. Painkillers help. Go back to your GP/Health Service and ask them for more information regarding treatment, coping etc.

Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.