Cervical Ribs

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just had a cervical rib resection on my right side about 7 weeks ago and I'm still recovering. Anyone thinking about getting this surgery should think about how major it is and the recovery time needed and if it will be worth it. It was estimated that I would stay in the hospital for 4 days but I ended up staying 10. Even though the sugery itself went very well, I had severe pain and developed stomach issues. :cry: They gave me Morphine through IV and Oxycontin along with other powerful painkillers but it didn't help relieve all the pain I felt. My arm ached for weeks after the surgery and I still can't sleep on my sides. My middle and ring finger still do not have all the feeling back from the nerves being retracted during surgery. My chest is numb as well. Make sure that you ask a lot of questions and find out if this is the best thing for you before making such a big decision.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for your message Linn, I'm due to have my left sided cervical rib removed in September, I must say I'm not looking forward to it but I believe it is now my only option. We've been down every avenue possible to make it easier but it now seems to be getting worse week by week. Please keep us updated on your recovery, so at least I'll have some idea what to expect.

Thanks again. smile

• Posted

Just to update, I am still recovering but I am doing a little better. My arm isn't aching as bad and doesn't feel \"heavy\" as it did a few weeks after the surgery. I have only had to take pain medication occasionally. It is still difficult to get a comfortable sleeping position as I cannot sleep on my sides yet. I still do not have complete feeling in the tips of my middle and ring finger or in my chest. It is now almost 7 weeks ago since my surgery to give you an idea of the healing time. I was in Physical Therapy doing corner stretches with my arms raised and I noticed that the side that I did not have sirgery on was tingly. When I lowered my arms, the tingly side of my arm was completely red and the sugery side was unchanged. That is a good sign that the surgery relieved the TOS symptoms on my right side. Unfortunately, I still have the cervical rib on the left side and may have to have surgery on that side as well. One good thing is that my incision is looking better and better so hopefully there won't be a terrible scar. I wish you luck on your upcoming surgery if you do have it. :D Let me know how it goes.
  • Posted

Hi Linn, I'm sorry to bother you again, it's 3 weeks now to my surgery and I'm getting a little anxious. Can you tell me if you could use your arm ok after your surgery and could you manage to drive the car, the thought of not being able to get around fills me with dread because I don't enjoy my own company. sad

Thanx

Jackie.

• Posted

Hi there, Was wondering how you are feeling now? I had the operation in June and still feel pain and saw and unable to do what i would like, ie driving, shopping, house work ect. Certainly no hope of getting back to work yet. 12 weeks and my chest is still numb but painful under the skin. I get really tied very quicky.My thumb is still as painful as before the op, but now its also feels tingly at the tip. Was unable to take medication after for the pain, so only ever taken co codamol 8/500. Movement in my shouder is very limited and painful, although its getting a little easier each week. Is this what i should expect at this stage of recovery? The surgeon did say, that he'd never seen one so advanced with a huge lump in my sholuder, that area is really saw. Help Thanks xx
  • Posted

Linn its been over a year... How are you doing?
  • Posted

I was painting my house and fell and broke some ribs. I didn't know it at the time, I just thought I would have a huge bruise. About ten hours later, in extreme pain, pale and shaking, I decided to call my brother for assistance. After hearing how my voice sounded he drove 70 miles to take me to the hospital.

I had shattered a rib on the left side of my back and the splinters punctured by lung, spleen, diaphragm, and an artery. The doctor told me if I had waited another six hours he would have given me a "toe-tag" instead of surgery. I had bled almost two liters into my lung. He repaired the damage but had to remove about two inches of my rib.

I spent a week in the intensive care unit, before they would let me go home. It was definitely a very painful experience - for over a month I had muscle seizures and could'nt breathe very well. I discovered, finally, that might have been due to under-hydrating, and once I started drinking more water each day, that condition eased. After a month, I stopped taking the painkillers so I could determine what my healing process was. It was very hard but I was determined. It took about a week to adjust, especially to sleeping (very difficult, on either side) but I got used to it.

After about six weeks I began to stretch...don't have to tell you how much pain that was, but I had to lift my arms over my head and continue to do so. Now, after a week, it isn't too bad. I'm getting stronger and better every day, although it seems like my whole body still hurts. But, you have to work through it and really decide if the problems are real pain, or mere discomfort (really painful discomfort, I know but there is a difference). I am getting better and I hope you are too. I think I might have about eight months or so before full recovery, (I still have no feeling on the left side of my abdomen) but I am optimistic.

Hope this post helps - you will get better, I hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.