cervical ribs

Posted , 1 user is following.

My son Peter is 24 and was diagnosed with cervical ribs in his early teens. First sign was the onset of migraine headaches. He is anathlete, a high school wrestler and a high school soccer player and college soccer player. His migraines are becoming more severe and more frequent. He is taking Flexaril, Cymbalta, and Maxaalt for the migraine, which at times does not work. His fingers are getting numb and he feels tht he has trouble thinking when he studies. I believe the he will have to have surgery within the next year to deal with this medical issue.

Has anyone had surgery for this? What has your experience been? Where is the best surgery available? Does yoga or Pilates relieve any of the symptoms? What can you pass on to me that would be helpful? Thank you.

New Jersey, USA (I didn't vote for Bush, if that helps)

(Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.)

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

:?: I am facing similar problem. By this time if you have received any solution or suggestions or got cured I would appreciate your kind reply to help me..

With best regards-

Nauleen

• Posted

Hi, my experience is not like your son's but I did undergo cervical rib removal surgery. In november Last year I suffered from ischemia on my left arm, I went to the hospital as my hand was numb, cold and weak. I had to stay there for a week, the doctors checked my heart and did lots of tests. I also was put into anticoagulant treatment. I left the hospital and continued with the treatment while the doctors evaluated my tests, etc, finally, in February, the doctors found out I had bilateral cervical ribs, I had been excercising (before the ischemia) in an elyptical machine and this is what triggered the blood clot that caused the ischemia, luckily I got to the hospital on time and didn't loose my arm : ) The problem was that both my ribs blocked my subclavian artery completely when lifting my arm above my shoulder. I went into surgery in March, the doctors accessed the rib by cutting right above my clavicle, the thing is that this is a very narrow space to work on apart from all the muscles, nerves, arteries, etc, that coexist in that space. They had to move my nerves around so that they could get to the rib and cut it. By the way, this procedure requires general anesthesia. When I woke up my arm was \"asleep\", I couldn't control it, when I lifted it, it went wherever it wanted to, I couldn't lift it above my shoulder either. I was in the hospital just for one day and they sent me home. When the anesthesia wore off, I was in pain, my back hurt a lot so I had to start taking pain killers.I was very tired because of the surgery, it took me about a month to regain control of my arm and I was in pain for about three weeks. For me, the most difficult part was needing help even for the most basic things such as putting my socks on, this was a frustrating experience. I'm also young (28) and can be impatient, I didn't like feeling tired or being at home resting all the time. Anyway, my circulation improved right after the rib was removed, I regained strenght also. My doctor was pleasently surprised and told me this was due to my positive attitude, I have tried to remain positive throughout this ordeal. I will undergo surgery in a about a week to remove the right rib, I wish your son the best of lucks, his youth and healthiness are very positive factors. Good luck!!!
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 16 yrs old. I went to the GP about a year ago because I thought i had a chest infection and was sent for a chest x-ray. The doctor wanted to see me and told me that good news i didn't have a chest infection, but a bad cold, and oh yea, you've got an extra rib. WHAT!!!!!!!! He was laughing a little, I was confused...and here i am writing on this website with a mild ache on my right shoulder. I was told it might get worse since i had a couple of years left to grow, and its a 'wait and see'. i really don't want an operation, when i'm already self-coscious as it is. My sister has a nickname for me: SPARE RIB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.