Cervical Screening test

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my first smear test today, it was so so painful that the nurse had to stop and rebook me in for next week. I'm hoping it was painful because I am due on, but I am now so so nervous for the next time. I wasn't bothered about it this time as everyone said it was fine just a bit uncomfortable but after the pain it caused today I'm dreading going back. It is still a bit tender and sore, especially when I go toilet... I also feel really emotional now after it rolleyes

I didn't really know where to go to talk about this as like I said the people I know have had no problems, but I just feel like I need to talk about it rolleyes

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

i thought you had to go mid-cycle, rather than when you are due on, so maybe that had an impact on how painful it was?

not sure, but just a thought. Would book when you are mid-cycle next time, if you still want one that is. They are not compulsory, as any screening test, they're all optional. You should not feel pressured to go back. Take a look on this forum for all the pros and cons to cervical smear testing. It has opened my eyes!

• Posted

Hi Jazzie. So sorry for your bad experience. Cervical smear should not be painful. The cervix has hardly any nerve endings. I had cervical punch biopsies and cervical surgery and afterwards had no pain at all. What was it that was painful? The actual attempt to take a smear or was it the speculum stretching that was painful? Sounds like the nurse atrtending to you was not very skilled perhaps. Can you go to someone else somehow?
    • Posted

It was the speculum being put in and manipulated around so the nurse could see my cervix. The nurse said she didnt have a smaller one so had to use the one she was using. I have another appointment in two weeks time, if it hurts again then I will find somewhere else to go or talk to my doctor incase there's an underlying problem rolleyes

• Posted

ugh...sounds like she was a little unskilled or otherwise not gentle. there is no need to manipulate the speculum for a view of the cervix. it goes in, you breathe out to release any tension in your muscles and prevent injusry and she looks in. It really should be only somewhat uncomfortable at worst. At best it should be an absolute non-issue. How frustrating for you. The only thing for you to do is try to relax the muscles totally to limit the discomfort. Hope it goes smoother next time. You also really ought to space it further away from your period as it could produce added sensitivity. That said, the only other thing that could be wrong is some vaginal inflammation that she should be able to see the moment the speculum is in. swabs will eventually confirm. Best of luck.
    • Posted

Yeah she wasn't as gentle as I expected. And before going everyone I know who has had one told me about it and said to relax so that's what I did. I've been told to take paracetamol half hour before I go next time, I will try to be relaxed as much as I can but will be more difficult after knowing the pain it caused. Yes I have booked it for two weeks time, before the procedure the nurse was asking me about my periods and I said to her I was on it (well due on, my pill was changed recently and so had to go straight on the the new tablets so no period/bleeding this month) and she didnt say anything about it just that's fine and got on with everything else.

• Posted

Hi Jazzie

I assume you're 25 and in the UK, it might help to know that pap/smear testing is not backed by the evidence in women under 30 and sadly, young women produce the most false positives that can lead to excess biopsies and over-treatment. So the risks that come with testing young women exceeds any benefit. (and there may be no benefit)

So countries like Finland and The Netherlands don't test before 30 and have sound results, as good, if not better, than the UK.

The evidence has moved on though and now we know only a fairly small number of women can benefit from a 5 yearly pap/smear test, the roughly 5% of women aged 30 to 60 who test HPV+

MOST women are HPV- and having unnecessary pap/smear testing.

You can also test yourself for HPV, the new Dutch program is 5 HPV tests or HPV self-testing at ages 30,35,40,50 and 60 and a 5 yearly smear test is only offered to the roughly 5% who test HPV+

This takes most women out of pap/smear testing, saves more lives by concentrating on the small group at risk, saves a lot of money that can be spent on underfunded areas like mental health and heart disease...and it means excess biospy and over-treatment rates plummet. (so fewer women with damage to the cervix so hopefully, fewer premature babies, miscarriages, infertility, the need for servical cerclage and c-sections etc.)

Sadly, most women will never be offered self-testing, even if they the speculum exam very painful...BUT you can buy a self-test kit online. I also doubt Australia, the UK and elsewhere will adopt evidence-based program, IMO, vested interests have too much say with these programs and of course, excess suits them. Most of these programs are not in the best interests of women and shockingly there is very little respect for our right to choose, to make an informed decision about testing.

All cancer screening is elective according to the law and proper ethical standards, but that seems to be forgotten when women are concerned.

I don't test at all, HPV- women cannot benefit from smear tests, but can be harmed.

I'm happy to refer you to a website full of real information, I'll send you a link by PM

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.