Cervical smear

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I haven't had penetrative see for 2 years, due to fear more than anything. I have been called for my cervical smear, I am petrified but I know it has to be done, has anyone else overcome this fear, is there anything I can do to make it more sufferable ?  Thank you xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tybear,  hope you are ok.  Getting that letter is awful, we know it's coming but it's still the same feeling when we get the letter,  I am the same haven't had sex for a long time for various reasons.  All I can say is I dreaded it and the lady I see said I would probably have to be put to sleep but I thought no I'm going to try as the risks are height been put to sleep.   I think the nurses are usually lovely but ask for a longer appointment and I made sure they put on the computer system my fears and that I had L S and atrophy and was worried.  I asked for x small speculum, lubricant, a pillow under my bottom and the bed raised at my head so I felt more comfortable than being flat.  Somehow, being flat made my muscles inside grab more.  I also asked the nurse to be as quick as she could.  I got it done and so will you.  Just remember when you've had it done you will know the result which I'm sure will be normal then you can forget about it until the next letter.  I hope that helps.  Oh I took paracetamol before it about half hour before. 

• Posted

Hi Sue162,

Thank you for your reply, I know you are right, far better to not live in fear of what could be, better to get it over and done with. But I am petrified, I have had a word with the nurse who advised to ask doctor for a sedative to relax me before I go. I shall take all of your practical advice on board.

Thank you xxx

• Posted

Let us know you had it done won't you.  Sedatives a good idea. X

• Posted

I endorse everything on the previous reply. But I did have a smear that was very rough. She tore open about 2 cm of fusing. It was sore and I bleed but that was 3 years ago and the best thing that ever happened to me with this condition. I was determined I would not fuse again. I bought some medical dialators and use them twice a week in the bath and have gradually increased from the small to the medium to the large. I also lubricate 4 times a day with aloe Vera

I was advised by a dr to use vagifem pessary for 3 nights before my smear

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Libsan,

Thank you for your reply, I have never thought about dilators as I am literally too scared to insert anything ! But as you say perhaps it is time to take control, thank you for your advice I shall certainly try and be brave xx

• Posted

I don't think it was braveness .... just fear of the stories I have read of having problems urinating in the future

• Posted

Roll on your side to have it done. A male gynaecologist did this explaining that the bladder drops out of the way. Doctor stands behind you. He was right, so easy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.