cervical smear test pain and bleeding

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had my routine smear test and two attempts by the nurse failed due to severe pain and bleeding. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, that is, if might be associated with LS?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have to be totally knocked out to have it done. Then I can’t pee without pain for a week!

• Posted

thank your for replying - that sounds awful. I have to go back for a third try next week - here's hoping okay this time!

• Posted

Hi,

im wondering if you suffer with atrophy as I aren’t sure if you are menopausal.  Did you have an extra small speculum?  I dreaded the smear and put it off but asked for x small speculum, a cushion, lubricant and for the bed to be raised at the head so that I wasn’t so flat, somehow it makes me tense if I am too flat.  The nurse was very quick as well.  Sometimes it’s the nurse not you.  Is there a family planning clinic near you you can have it done at and tell them about your L S and your worries? Another patient nurse may be better,    I managed to get it done in the end.  It was painful though. 

• Posted

Thank you for telling me about your experience, very helpful. Yes, I think i have atrophy as have been prescribed Vagifem. Have now been referred to a doctor next week - hoping will be okay
    • Posted

Ah, I think that’s why it’s painful ellen our skin has thinned.  The x small speculum will help, the nurse also said she will only insert it as far as is needed.  The said she will do anything to help get it done she said she even gives it to ladies to insert themselves.  You could make sure they have x small first as some don’t have one in and need to order it.  Unless we ask these things they’ll plod along with the same old ways of doing it rather than accommodating individuals which we are aren’t we with our own comfy way of doing things.  Hope the info helps, the cushion under your bottom makes it easier TMI I know but it does help x 
    • Posted

Thank you. Hope the nect attempt will be successful!
  • Posted

I know this thread is a few months old but I have been reading everyone's experiences. I have been to my surgery twice but the nurse wasn't able to do it. She prescribed vagifem pessaries to supposedly soften the cervix but still couldn't do it. She got me an appointment at the colposcopy clinic at the hospital for them to do it and ...yes they did it but it was the most painful experience ever.....im 62 so that was my last test and I have had tests for 40 years and never had a problem....usually a bit uncomfortable but never ever as painful as this one I just had . I thought I was being a bit of a wimp but reading all the comments I know I'm not .....hope everyone has managed pain free smears since x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.