Cervical Smears for older women

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I moved to this part of the country nearly 30 years ago, it was a 5 year smear test. As I had always had 3 yearly tests in the North East I paid and had one every 3 years alongside my free NHS one after 5 years. Now  I am 64 this year and my last test was at 61, I am told I can't have anymore on the NHS. I told the doctor I would pay for one now but I was told not to waste my money as it the youngsters who are most at risk.

?A friend told me she had abnormal cells discovered and treated well into her 60s, so I don't know what to do now.The practice nurse advised me to enquire on this forum, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Seriously we cant have any more smear tests done after 61 on the NHS, what country you in now ? 
    • Posted

I am in the UK Susan, I think the cut off is 64 but because I had one at 61 and it is only every 5 years they won't let me have another one free. 

• Posted

Oh i see,  well i never had the one at 61 so this is probably why ive never had another invite then, im now 66.   So if  i get problems now then i have to pay for investigations. eek
    • Posted

No. If you get any problems you should get an appointment with your GP and get the problems diagnosed. This is free on the NHS. Screening tests are for people with no symptoms, who are called up for a test to see if they show signs they may be at risk for something. Screening tests are offered during those years of a person's life when the disease is most common and not at other times, but if you think you may have cancer, you can book an appointment with your GP, and get treated for free.

• Posted

If all your past smears have been negative you certainly don't need any more. Cervical cancer is caused by the HPV virus, which is a sexually transmitted infection. If you don't have HPV you can't get cervical cancer. It sounds as though your friend had HPV from many years ago, and had treatment for this which needs monitoring. You are obviously clear and don't need the same treatment as your neighbour.

It's got nothing to do with the NHS cost cutting. Not all women are the same and need the same treatment. The 5 yearly tests for HPV negative women are more than enough.

• Posted

Thanks Jane for your advice. Fortunately I have never had any negative smears. Our GP said the same as you, but I am a born worrier. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.