Cervical Spinal Stenosis

Posted , 11 users are following.

My wife has cervical spinal stenosis (C-5-C-6). Has some pain in her right arm and continual neck "tightness". Neurosurgeon says symptoms will get worse if she doesn't have surgery. He wants to fuse two disks together and open up the canal for the spinal cord. My wife isn't sure what to do because she is functional and getting used to the pain. She is also concerned about the surgery risk.

Has anyone else had to deal with this dilemna of trying to decide when to get the surgery? When is it worth the risk of getting the surgery? Although highly unlikely she could be worse off after surgery.

Would like the hear from other folks that went through this situation and how they made out.

Thanks!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Edgar

i had a car accident that affected my neck and spinal cord and had my neck fused. my spinal cord was being crushed with herniated discs. There was stenosis also found so they decompressed as well as fused.

if your wife is only dealing with pain, then pain management "may" help her temporarily. but if she has any loss of use of her arm or hands, then she may not have any choice. see a neuro as well as ortho surgeon and compare notes.

good luck!

• Posted

Hi Edgar,

If your wife has fusion carried out then it is "possible", that further fusion "may", be required further down the road. Not knowing your good lady's age this is difficult to quantify.I originally had c/s at c4,5,6&7. Because of delays and cancellations, as well as other problems, I never had any surgery. However, I would now require a full fusion of my cervical spine if surgery became my only alternative.

Good luck to you both.

Mike.

• Posted

I have been having back problems for years but was managing on crutches and with painkillers but in March two of my discs prolapsed and I was in hospital for five weeks in excruiating pain. I had five MRI scans and was told my spine is in a terrible mess and I need a 10 hour spinal operation on various parts of my spine. I asked if I could pay for it but was told it will cost £50,000 and cannot be done privately through the NHS.

Needless to say, I am still awaiting surgery and cannot stand or walk for more than a few minutes so have to use a wheelchair now. I am terrified of the surgery but I have very little feeling in my feet and legs apart from pricking sensations and it is getting worse all the time. I am also suffering from terrible headaches.I pray every day that I will hear from the Hospital but still nothing.

I will keep you updated of my progress.

SYLVIA

• Posted

Got a bad case of spinal stenosis 8 months after having a TKR done. Mine was the L2/L4 lumbar vertebrae; the pain and numbness was down both legs (like double sciatica) and I could barely walk 100 feet. No choice but to get this attended to.

I was already fused L3 through S1 via rails and screws from a TLIF (from the back) fusion. Recovery was 12 days in the hospital, 6 months in a back brace and 4 months of rehab work. I wanted desperately to avoid a repeat of that episode. Neuro said he could rip out the previous hardware and fuse me L2 through S1...OR...

Do a Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF) at L2/L3 where they go in from the SIDE (not back), drill out the bad disk, insert a spacer device, backfill with a bone graft and close. The device can be solid or expandable so that the correct distance between the vertebrae can be restored thereby alleviating the pressure on the nerves and stopping all the pain. IMMEDIATE pain relief, one overnight in the hospital, no brace, no rehab. Miracle op.

See if this can be done on the cervical spine. If yes, find a neuro who has experience doing the procedure. Well worth checking it out.

• Posted

one more thing ..,before you consider fusion discuss decompression. My left hand was affected because of the car accident, and after six months when it still wasn’t working properly the doctor said that he wanted to fuse two more levels. So I’m fused C34 through C7. but I had said I wanted a decompression not another fusion. I did not go with my gut instinct and agreed to the additional fusion and the surgery in my opinion was a waste of time. After a couple of months then the doctor said well maybe we can go back in and decompress. I told him he exhausted my funds and I would not do anything else. Point of the story is talk about decompression and specifically go with your gut instinct.

• Posted

Thank you Chico for all this information. I am currently under two hospitals due to moving home. One of the Surgeons suggested this operation through the side which apparently needs two surgeons to carry out.

I have an appointment at the end of October with the Orthopaedic department at Chorley and will ask how much it will cost to get it done privately as fed up waiting. now. Even if I get part of my back sorted, it will give me some relief and I may be able to cope with the pain from the other problems. I just want to be able to walk again free of pain.

You have given me some hope Chico, thank you. I am so glad you are feeling better as you have been through a lot.

SYLVIA

• Posted

Yes on the two surgeons. A General Surgeon does the incision, goes in and moves "stuff" out of the way creating a straight path to the spine. Then the neurosurgeon takes over and does the actual fusion. When done, the GS closes you up. Very simple.

Search YouTube for "Globus LLIF" to see a cute animation on how this is done. Again, I don't know if this is a cervical procedure as I have only had lumbar spine issues. I hope it is. In the end, you have a cute little device in your back...

• Posted

As a follow up does anyone know if Stem cell treatment is a viable alternative to try before having the surgery? Some websites indicate that stem cell therapy will help spinal stenosis but I have never seen any post about having it.

• Posted

Everybody's different. if your wife can handle the pain. then I would wait. My accident happened so quickly I feel as though I didn't have time to think. My bike accident was 12 years ago, so I lived in chronic pain ever since. So 14 back surgeries later and a knee replacement surgery last Friday....and I wonder what the hell went wrong.

• Posted

try a cervical massage pad, safter then surgery that you aren't sure of, or some kind of magnet brace on your neck area for your wife.

this is the price for spinal cord surgery of fusion:

aminectomy was calculated to cost $77,000 per QALY gained, while spinal fusion surgery was estimated to be $115,000 per QALY gained.

Yes, so now you might know why he has suggested it (damn!).

I think i have all spinal stenosis, all 3 parts(omg!) upper body pain, neck cramps/being pulled down sensation, lower back pain. pressure from abdominal gas/constipation

I am buying a massage pad and see if it works. with heating and balls vibrating

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.