Cervical spondilytis in pain from past 1 month

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

My name is mitali and m 32 years old. I very drepessed these days coz if the pain i have right below the neck on the left side with shooting and terrible pain in my left arm along with numbness and tingling sensation in my left hand fingers.

I was abosoultely fine till 2 april 2017.On that night i worked till late morning around 6-7 hours on the laptop in the same posture and experience stiffness and pain in neck for two days still went to work as i thought its just a sprain or something like that.

On the very 3 day i couldnt get up from the bed coz if the horrible pain and numbness in ma left arm.

My neurologist made me under go sone test where in he discovered mild neuropathy ( inflammtion in nervers) and b -12 deficieny

Neuro started giving me medictions and told me thatthe would suffice in 2 weeks or so and told me to be off work for two weeks.

Its been a month now and there is very little relieve in the pain still i cnt not sleep on the bed as it kills me out of pain from past 1 month i am sleep on the recliner. Last week my neuro reffered me to a ortho and after checking ma x ray ortho told me that i have chances of cervical spindilytis and asked me to go for an MRI. I am just too drepressed and still in horrible pain. M still not been diagonosed properly. I am still off work dont know wht to do

Please share your advise and expericences

Thanks

Mitu

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Mitali, 

I was 44 when it hit me.  I started with many strange symptoms but they eventually seemed to narrow down to pain just below my skull on my right side.  I would knead it to try to relieve, and no pain killer really did anything.  

After many, many dr appointments, I eventually resorted to therapeutic massage and chiropractors.  It seemed a muscle in the back (scalene?) is often behind the neck pain so working out those knots did help.  Also i bought an electric heat pad (don't waste time with the others like you put in the microwave) and that helped, as well as a good recliner.  

If you have  a desk job, then my bet would be poor posture could be the cause.  If you practice stretches, neck strenghtening and are patient, it will likely fade.  I will say, for me it took 1.5 years but I was grateful it even disappated.  I do continue to get flare ups from time to time and then make sure to go back to the techniques that helped in the past.  

good luck. 

BTW, I too had tingling and numbness in my hands, burning, electric shock sensations.  

• Posted

Hi

I am happy to know you feel better now.

Thanks a tonn for sharing your experience with me. I would like to share with that my neuro changed my medication yesterday only. I had only 4 dosages of it till now and feel a lot better today. Today i will be going for the MRI probably the stamding MRI as still m really not able to lie down.

I just wanted to know in your case was it something related to a pinched nerve in neck due to degeneration of cervical spine or its was somthing else. M not sure onece this pain subsides i still have to be off work or if can work

Plus my neuro has suggested me to go for PT and excercises once this acute pain subsides so not shall i start it right away or shud wait.

Really i want everyone suffering with this to be fine soon.

Thanks

Mitali

• Posted

In my case I believe the problem was office desk + poor posture for 20 years, plus I started going to the gym and doing heavy bench presses.  

My MRI didn't show stenosis but the symptoms fit and it did show a lot of degeneration.  I also had an EMG test which showed nerve compression one time and nothing the second time.  My feeling is these things are hard to detect and may change month to month.  

I too started with PT but they seemed to be very careful in their exercises.  Then I went to massage and chiropractor who did more significant adjustments and I started to feel better.  I won't conclude as result of any of these changes because you never know, could have just been waiting long enough time. 

In addition to that facebook group,  there are tons of youtube videos.  For me, the keyword was forward head position (FHP) and you'll find lots of other exercises to try. 

• Posted

You need an MRI scan on your neck. Ther symptoms you describe sound radicular meaning you could have a compressed spinal nerve root in your neck. An x-ray wouldn't show this only an MRI. I belong to a group on Facebook called Cervical Myelopathy Support Group, ACDF, All spine, joint and muscle conditions. We have 1,942 members and growing fast. Why bnot join up and talk to other people who understand what you are going through ? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.