cervical spondolosis . can it affect my arm?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with cs some 3 months ago and am finding things a bit difficult with the pain etc. I have now noticed that I occasionally lose the strength in my right hand and find it difficult to pick things up, this will only last a few minutes.

Could it be related to the cs.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi max

yes it sometimes can affect your arm as it can trap nerves in your nec.also the strength. If you have just been diagnosed may be you can try accupuncture also try heat it sometimes helps. Try and keep it moving slightly as then it will not seize up completly i know it is hard if you are in pain but if you do little and often it might help let me know how you are getting on

jeanetterolleyes

• Posted

Hi Max

Yes, compression on the nerve root can interfere with signals from the brain to your hand, and this can be one of the many symptoms of CS. If you are in enough pain to affect your life you should ask your GP for appropriate pain relief. The main medications used are Amitriptyline or Gabapentine. I couldn't tolerate either of these so was eventually prescribed Dusolepin. I have also had a nerve root block, which worked wonderfully for four months. This involves an injection of an anti-inflamatory around the nerve root. It reduces the inflamation and stops the nerve giving off pain signals.  I found it very difficult to get the right treatment without being referred to a pain clinic. It was here that I got a quick MRI scan and a sympathetic and understanding doctor. Don't put up with pain and muscle weakness - make a nuisance of yourself.

Using a heated wheat bag will often ease the pain, or a hot bath or shower. Be aware of what makes things worse and try to keep active, walking and keeping your head and neck moving. Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi sasha

I have had the injections in neck and also had facet injections in hips consultant said some times it could make it worse (not all the time) and it may make it better .I agree it is half the battle if you have a good GP! if max is going to keep active before he does that if he is on medication he should take it before he starts! in some cases pain clinics are a good thing it helps people to talk about their pain and not only that he will get some good advice.I myself have been to a pain clinic and sometimes you can feel alone when you are in pain they willlisten and tell you about what is out there to help you manage  and get you other treatment some that you would never think of that could help?  

• Posted

Hi Jeanette. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query. 

I am not in terrible pain but it is rather constant and I am now concerned about the weakness iny hand. 

Think I will ask for refer to pain clinic as my gp seems to be of the opinion that at 72 I should accept these things. 

Thamks again

Max

• Posted

Hi sasha

Thanks for replying to my query I feei pretty sure now that the weakness in my hand is the result pf cs.

I am not in terrible pain as I'm sure some people are but I do get severe headaches and am a bit worried about the weakness in my hand which seems to come and go.

Am now going to seek further help as gp not too helpful. 

Thank

Max

• Posted

Hi Max

You might find it helpful if you go to a pain clinic. My consultant told me it is not what you cant do it is what you can and little and often and not to over do it because that will make it worse.but to take things easy!! I hope you have a good GP because no matter what your age you do not have to accept the way things are now you go to your GP and  explain your worries about the weakness in your hand and he might refer you to physio.just because you are 72 you dont have to accept it they should be helping you!!!!! next time you see your GP ask if you  could maybe take other pain killers as well as your usual ones ? (but ask first)  

So take care keep your posts updated  jeanette rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.