cervical spondylosis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, I have been told I have cervical spondylosis! Im in pain every day, and I cannot turn my head towards to right, unless i physically push my face with my hand to look that way! My jaw/lower face goes numb, and hurts, my chest feels tight (the skin), and my right fingers seem to swell! Not only that, i feel im walking like a crab - to one side only. Its very hard, as i have 3 young children to look after too! I feel my head jerking a lot, and spasms and jerks from within. Would love to speak with other suffers!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya Lindaloo smile

Sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with is awful condition sad

May I ask if yu have had an MRI scan?

What medication you are taking ?

I would avoid pushing your head for a while, just do gentle \"No\" exercises for now.

And I know it's going to be really hard for you to do any resting, eg, lying down, or lifting heavy loads when you have three small children. You must ask for help from your partner or family friends.

Try and stay positive and strong

take care

Em smile

• Posted

[quote:88f1065e41=\"Aunty Em\"]Hiya Lindaloo smile

Sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with is awful condition sad

May I ask if yu have had an MRI scan?

What medication you are taking ?

I would avoid pushing your head for a while, just do gentle \"No\" exercises for now.

And I know it's going to be really hard for you to do any resting, eg, lying down, or lifting heavy loads when you have three small children. You must ask for help from your partner or family friends.

Try and stay positive and strong

take care

Em smile[/quote:88f1065e41] smile smile

• Posted

Hello lindaloolt,

5 weeks ago I could'nt move my head to the right or back but now I can (just). Gentle neck exercises should loosen it up eventually. Time is the best healer. For nerve pain I can recommend getting a TENS machine. They are not expensive and certainly worth a try. Hope you get results :zen:

regards,

Paul

• Posted

smile Thanks for replying! Thats good advice. You have brought me hope now! Do you get the pins & needles (like a sensation of ants) crawling over your shoulders too? Lots of love, Lindaloo!XX:-)
  • Posted

Hi lindaloolt,

Not my shoulders, but down my right arm, though been alot less this last week as I have gained much more movement in my neck smile

Paul

• Posted

:lol: Thanks for replying again! im pleased that you can finally get more movement! It really does show that there is hope for me now!., as im feeling so crippled at this present time! Im dreading the injection in my neck on the 28th April! I just pray that it will work!., as my surgeon says he does not want to operate, as not only as im quite young, but its a 50/50 chance of being paralised! yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of love, LindaLoo!X:-)

• Posted

Hi'

What you've described seems to me to be the initial onset of c/s....head crocked to one side, chest pains etc. In my experience, these symptoms relaxed after 3/4 weeks ( with the help of some painkillers) and the whole thing resolved itself into sporadic outbursts but without the head being stuck in such an awkward position. I don;t know if this is your situation with regard to when the problem first arose. It may well be that this only happens the first time! I'm not sure about the value of an operation, and certainly not at such an early stage, and I would even go so far as to say that any injections ought to be considered with caution. If you check through this site and others for information on the usefulness of injections before you opt for it...just google 'cervical spondylosis injections'...you might find there are differing opinions and my advice, for what it's worth, is to err on the side of caution. After all, you can have an injection later on if there's no improvement. Good Luck.

• Posted

p.s. I've just seen your profile and realised that you've had c/s for seven years, so what I've posted above probably doesn't apply. Sorry.However, as a possible alternative to injections and operations, you might like to consider if your sleeping environment isn't a factor in worsening your symptoms. A simple draught on the neck at night can do this. I might be the only person in the country with a Draught Phobia, but I've got good reason through years of trial and error. It's worth looking into...any improvement is gold dust!

Gerry

• Posted

Hi LindaLoo, I wish you luck for the injections on 28th April. But can you tell me exactly how these injections have been described to you? If you look through the past postings here, you will see that I had trigger spot injections in my neck last July and a cervical epidural in February. When you say there's a 50/50 chance of being paralysed, is that how the surgeon has described it to you? In the case of the cervical epidural, I was told there was a risk involved as there is with any invasive procedure and that it may work or not work. That sensation of crawling ants is something I experience too, mainly down my right arm and also from my neck into the back of my head and, on bad days, into my forehead. Stay in touch with us on this forum. There are some good people here. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.
  • Posted

smile Thanks for that advice! im so dreading my jab! Anyway, when I spoke to my consultant, he did offer me an op, but said i could end up paralised, so instead, have to have injection as a pain relief! its got to be every 3 months! im so worried!., but have been advised to have it done! Im so ridgid with pain, its unbearable! Even lifting up a hoover, kills me! I will let you know after the 28th april how it went! I also get wobbly legs! do you? Also vertigo, when standing! It makes me feel sick, but Im never actually sick! isnt it awful! So glad for this site. I love hearing from you all!XXXXXXXXXXXXX:-)
  • Posted

Best of luck with the injection Linda. Keep us posted on your progress. :cuddle:
  • Posted

Good Luck from me too Lindaloo, hope all goes well on the 28th smile .

Thank you for the welcome Aunty Em smile . Nope, no mattress topper, but I've heard good things about them.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend smile .

• Posted

hello every one hope you dont mind mind me telling you some of my problems , i was told i have c/p 2 yrs ago i have a memory foam pillow and mattressthey are both lovely and comfy but it takes me ages to get to sleep because if im on my left side my head is pushing into the the pillow and making my neck really ache and stiffness , if im on my right its pushing to my left aching and stiff and the same if i lay on my back im so tiered and just wish i could lay and relax am i going to be like this for ever now :? :cry: does any one have any ideas of what will help me please thanks for reading
  • Posted

hello vanessa jane, i think it is my night to respond to postings. what have you tried yet apart from memory foam?. i mean have you tried any meds yet , some have found amytryptiline helpfull to aid a good nights sleep, myself i have had to resort to zopiclone which is a sleeping tablet. it got to the stage that i couldnt sleep(it took ten days without) when i turned to my gp, he prescribed zopiclone and it works wonders i have managed to reduce the dosage but not cut it out. i have been taking them for years now and cant sleep without them. ask your gp andsee what they say, good luck let us know how you get on. chris xx
  • Posted

hi chris, yes i do have amytriptoline i do get to sleep easier if i take them,but even though they are the lowest dose i find it really hard to get up in the morning to get my small son up for school ( well smallish he is 10) they make me so groggy and im wanting some thing to make me relax so i can also sit and read and watch telly , you know just to put my feet up and chill for an hour of an evening would be a treat . its strange when im on my feet doing things im fine , walking im fine apart from i cant walk like i used to my knees seem to ache now , i am 53 and i was as fit as a fiddle untill i got to 50 yrs old , i dont drive iv always walked and i just hate having this problem . thanks x :cry: :?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.