cervical spondylosis

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all, it's 2.33 in the morning and my demon is keeping me awake yet again :shock: :shock: I was first diagnosed with cs when i was 26yrs old, local GP treated me for a frozen shoulder at the time but as it lasted 18months he decided to send me for X-ray which then lead to MRI = cs diagnoses. with the help of medication my demond slept for a few years with only an occasional flare up that would last for a couple of weeks. In my mid 30's it raised it's ugly head again :x a little worse than the first flare up, thought i was going insane with the pain and general overall affect this condition was having on my life. yet another MRI showed a worsening, affecting c4,5,6. spent a small fortune on acupuncture that did help with pain relief and helped me to relax. I went to see a master who taut acupuncture in the next village, sadly he has past now. 5yrs ago yet another flare up, more tablets, more scans, more physio, more ortho consultants. 6 months ago it started again, OMG just cut my right arm off and my head!!!in oct 09 another MRI showed c4,5,6,7 T1,2 affected, I work in OT in my local Hosyi and have lots of support from my bosses and colleagues which has been fab and for that i am most humbled. this time my demon has given me to much to bare :evil: the norm of pain constant head aches, numbness, pins & needles, twitching, sleepless nights, fatigued. OMG I could go on and on, but you all know the story.Awaiting to see another ortho consultant in DEC 09, God help he is more sympathetic than the others, lol... :roll: I feel it may be time to try some thing more invasive than tens, medication, acu, neck pillows, yoga, tears and screaming. I cant believe I only found this site today after my boss said \"enough lovely, go home and rest\". I have been reading ppl's stories and experiences all afternoon and to be honest, I have found... not a solution or physical relief but emotional relief, comradeship, all knowing how it feels empathy. for that I am soooooooooo great full. My husband has been disabled for many years through a skeletore malfunction, so is sooo in tune with my emotional state, I could cry for Wales on a bad day. :oops: :oops: lol. I look forward to making some friendships, comrades and empathises now I have found you. take good care all. xxMacca

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i have not been officially dx with this but have a lot of symptoms.. always had bad back. then one day at work i went dizzy started shaking and i was sent for a head ct.. nothing... neck ct .. loss of neck curvature and mri showed loss of curvature with c3-c4 mild disc dehydration... now a year later i have othwer symptoms such as shoulder joint pain.. its dull and aching... sickening really.. hands hurt all the time my neck always feels strained ... fatigue mostly muscle .. as you said the ,list goes on and on.. been to see everyone. and everyone said theres northing wrong... do you worse when you stand up??? mind dioes and its always symetical.. blood test fine.. chest ct fine etc... nerve pain now around left rib cage.... i always feel like i'm going crazy now because no one believes me..
  • Posted

Macca you poor thing your cs sounds very bad, you certainly have tried everything. I had an accident coming off my mountain bike a year ago (broke 6 ribs and lots of other damage) that started my cs off again. But compared to yours it is not very bad. You will find lot of experiences on this site that might be of help to you, I hope it settles down a bit for you soon.

Vikki my cs is always worse when I get up in the morning but settles down when I walk around, there seems to be many different symptoms, I get pains in my hands some days and then not again for ages, my main problem is in my neck shoulders and pain up one side of my head.

All the best to both of you

XX

HC

• Posted

welcome macca to our hell, sorry to say that but it does seem that way sometimes. i have had this since i was 31 and i find it comes in waves, i am now 49 and have had some really rough few weeks, mainly in my ribs, it feels like they are being crushed. my mum thought it was asthma, but no apperently it is the muscles hardening which makes expansion of the lungs really bad. keep in touch with the site and you will be suprised with the advice you can get. keep your chin up and keep well. bye for now ,,,,,, chris xxx
  • Posted

szaw my gp today as she is refusing to refer me too physio .. told me that its all in my mind and that i just have to get on with it..find another job and the pain will go.. take these pain killers she said.. i can't i said.. its funny how your conversations with your gps go. its always a one way conversation and you honestly walk out feeling like a complete idiot and so so angry. i am in opain today in my joints... they are burning and my shoulders feel like they are going to gve way and my neck!! oh i feel that today too. i am sorry . i had a good day yesterday. i just don't know what to do anymore.
  • Posted

Hi Vikki, so so sorry to hear about your awful visit to GP, can you see another GP in your practice ?? or if you or your family have access to bupa for a second opinion / medical ?? it's the last thing you need when your feeling so bad and down. Have to say my GP'S have been very supportive thank god. When the pain takes over, I have a hot bath and do a little relaxation along with some breathing exercises, it wont stop it but does help as the more you are able to relax the better. :cry: I've tried Raki, do you have a group in your area as that helped me to relax when i had a sever flare up a few years ago. Keep in touch, try to relax, and see another GP if poss. Will be thinking of you. Macca. xx
  • Posted

Hi Macca, when my pain in neck and shoulders was very bad I went to a chiropracter, now I go about every 2 months for 'maintainence'. It helps a lot. Also posture is everything, try to sit and stand 'up tall'. Bean bag thingys that you put in the microwave are a great help with the neck and shoulders too. I do hope you feel better soon.

X

• Posted

Hi Guest, Yes wheat bags you can put in the microwave are fab and maintaining posture are all good and sound advise, would not have been able to cope with CS for the past 20yrs with out then. So glad you have found a method that keeps ur CS at bay sounds good and love the thought of being stretched and bent gently back into shape. I did visit one once and it did help, felt sore for a few days but after tha, It was fine for some time after a couple of sessions. over time my CS has crept from my neck to top of my back, Physio have done some gentle manipulation on me and i do my stretches and neck exercises through out the day every day. Now they have found problems with my lower back and a dent in my spinal cord at C7 ( not sever enough for immediate surgery thank god) Have appointment with my Consultant next week so i will definitely ask him about chiropractor. Thanks for the reminder.

I am feeling a world better now the pain is under control with meds but hoping they are for short term not long as lots of tablets give me IBS and difficulty going to the loo:oops: . Thanks again for the tip, stay well and pain free. xx

• Posted

thankyou for all your responses.. its just hard. i am 28 with 3 kids.. have to do the school run in a minute and do you know what.. my kids and my husband are the greatest support i could have.. my kids are gentle with me and help me with my jobs and let me rest.. i love my family so much and greatly apprieate them more now. today i am feel slightly dizzy and i feel pressure in my lumbar area and my sacral joint has pins and needles... ahhhh!! but i will get on with it.. i can't take anti immflamotorys as i have low platlets .. bummer. i did however buy myself a tens machine today. gonna try it tonight. little scared about it.. wish me luck!!
  • Posted

Hay Vikki, I started to use a tens machine a few months ago and found it useful in the beginning , pain nurse tells me that i was using it to much (8hrs a day) as after a couple of weeks i didn't feel as much benefit from it as i did at the start. For max benefit i was told use it for 4 hours then turn it off for 1hr, don't know if this works as i have had a spell in hosi and don't need it at mo due to new meds which are having a great affect on my pain. Wishing you loads of luck hun. xxx My family are also very supportive and that does help loads.xx
  • Posted

Hi Macca, what a relief when I came across your comments,and others before you, reassuring to know that others experiences are the same , and i'm not mad after all ! Like you I've tried so many things , private accupuncture, osteopath , and chiropractor, NHS physio , this only continued for a short time , my oesteopath said this is because C.S is outside of the NHS remit . A few have had a temporary effect, but nothing long lasting. I have had symptoms for 3yrs, but was only diagnosed with C.S earlier this year. I'm afraid my doctor is not at all sympathetic, I think this is because she genuinely believes that it isnt as bad as we patients make it out to be. When I told her my hands were numb, she tested them, and when she didnt get the resistence from me that she wanted, she said 'come on now you can do better than that'! Am taking lots of medication, but by far the best for me are the amitriptyline to reduce discomfort but with an added side effect-they make you sleep-very soundly! Nothing else works for me , if you havent already tried them , you might discuss with you doctor if they are suitable for you. Hope this helps, wish you luck x
  • Posted

Hi Sandi, know what you mean about GP's although when i was first diagnosed with CS (20yrs ago) my GP's were of the old school, now most of the GP's in my practice are young and very understanding. On my last visit to them last Friday the GP i saw thought my symptoms were so bad she sent me straight to A&E, who were also very good as they admitted me for four days to get pain under control until they decided what to do. Had yet another MRI scan, where they found some changes in lower back that i did not associate with my CS. four days later they sent me home thank god with my new meds that seem to have got control of the pain at mo. 900mg of Gabapentine, 20mg of Amitriptyline working slowly to a higher dose. I take these along with my usual coedine. I thought i had gone years with out a flare up but they tell me this is not so as the pain in the lower back that started over a year ago, the pains in my head which put me off work last year, numbness in my right leg are all connected to CS. I worked this all out as nothing else to do in hosi, I have in total had 2yrs with no flare ups. When my symptoms first started i was 26 with two young children and about to divorce my first husband, so i put it down to stress so I can in a small way see why the GP's then didn't think it was CS. I worked as a sewing machinist for M&S, I'm now very happily married, work as an Occupational Therapy Support worker and get soo much support from my employer NHS!!!.So far the Gabapentine is working although the side affect are hard to function on but they tell me once in my system this will pass. (constipation, feeling of being drunk, vision). I awoke this morning and can feel a niggle in my neck but its dulled by the meds. I found this site just over a week ago and like you have found it a comfort, but sad to hear how some are suffering and been treated by their GP's and ashamed to say the NHS service. I will be posting a thread on this site about Occupational Health and how they can help / support CS sufferers in the work place for those who are having problems with their employers. it was lovely to hear from you and stay in touch. Keep warm and stay well if able. xxMacca
  • Posted

hello macca, how are you faring??? the meds gabapentin are very good but your system gets used to it. i took gabapentin for quite some time and i was on 4 x3/300mg daily. i put on an awful lot of weight it looked like i was taking steroids. i decreased my meds last year and i have lost 4.5 stones, which hasnt helped my cs in any way which is what docs have been saying. as if my head could weigh that much losing weight would make a difference lol. i am now being seen by a new consultant the first in 13yrs, he actually listened and it was good to find a sympathetic dr for once. it will be interesting to see what the results of my tests will be.i did see a junior gp in our practice who couldnt believe how long it had been without any treatment or consultations in all that time, so it does take the younger docs to sit up and take notice, we are lucky in the fact we are a centre for learning, tied to ,manchester university. so it goes to show age does make a difference,,,,, chris xxx
  • Posted

hello everyone.. i am very happy today as i managed to get around town today and do the school run.. knackered now but faring okay.. tried my tens machine and it worked a little bit but i bought myself a cervical pillow and heat wrap which worked even better...

Just wanted to ask but does any of you get this cold tingling sensation around your jaw area? for 2 days i've had it and its driving me up the wall. It feels cold and sometimes itchy and then it goes then comes back... any cklues would be nice.. Have a wonderful weekend!! smile

• Posted

Hi Vickie, I have similar facial problems, recently developed after 8 years of CS. Mine is jaw pain, tingling and some feelings I cant even describe !!

Still we must KBO as Churchill usedto say !

keep smiling

xx

• Posted

Morning Chris, Vikki & Adrian, Good to hear Chris that you are of the same opinion as me when it comes to the younger GP's, not so good to hear about the weight gain from Gabapentine lol, being an active female i've been lucky in the fact that i have never had to worry about my weight but thanks for the tip, i will defo keep an eye on my scales from now on to see if i start putting on weight. Vikki, I've not had any sensations in my jaw but last year started to get a cold tingling sensation at the base of my skull which felt itchy. from time to time i do get a sever pain at the back of my right ear as if the arm of my specs were to tight and were pushing into my head, this also feels cold/tingling. consultant told me last week that this was due to CS?? four day out of hosi and on new meds, Neck, shoulder arm pain is almost completley gone, mind you I've not done any thing apart from sit around and play on my computer. next week i will start every day chores and see what happens but for now it's so nice being pain free i those areas. As for my lower back a friend / colleague took my out for an hour yesterday for a mouch around the shops, half way round the first shop right side of my lower back and my right leg started to give me jip and by the second shop that was enough, i needed to come home. will have to wait till wednesday next week to find out whats going on their when i see an OLD consultant so i dont expect much there lmao. Pain nurse has put me off work for another two weeks. My mood has lifted hugely and vision seems to be coming back to normal (must be the drugs) but OMG they do bung me up :oops:. Vikki keep doing what your doing as any thing you can do to gain relieve has to be a good thing as long as it's legal :shock: lol. xx Take care all and thanks for the replies. I have posted a thread for Occupational Health & CS, so if you know of any one who is having hassle with an employer please tell them to read my thread. take care, chat soon.. this site has really helped me. Mwah. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.