Cervical Spondylosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

:cry: I suffer from excrutiating headaches. I have suffered from migrain before but had never experienced pain in my head like I did a couple of years ago when the condition started. My neck aches frequently and is quite painful at times but I know straightaway when I am going to have a bad head becuase I get a pain at the side of my head and a burning sensation over my eyes. The pain travels round my head and feels like someone is squeezing my head. A really severe bout means that I cannot move, feel extremely sick and wish I was dead (this may sound like I am overstating things but I can assure you I would do anything to be rid of the pain). My Husband thought I was having a brain heomorage the first time it happened and rushed me to our local hospital. For the first time in my life, I had to have a week off work because I could not function. All I can do is sit with my neck supported because it is worse if I am lying down. I can't eat or sleep and just have to bear the pain until it goes. Does anybody else suffer from the same symptoms?.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

My sympathies for your headaches. I have to be honest and say that it doesn't sound like Cervical Spondylosis which always seems to start at back of head, base of skull before spreading. Probably worth having yours checked out by asking for an MRI scan which will determine if it's C/S or perhaps some other cause.

Good luck

Gerry

• Posted

hello dougie 0444, my headaches can differ, the worse ones start at the back of my neck, with such an awful aching, it then works its way up my skull, spreading over the top of my head, spreading all over my forehead, then behind my eyes and that is it i cant see move my head or talk, or eat.. so it is lights off anything that moves is screened, curtains shut, and i tend to sleep it off..... i also have one that makes me feel muzzy like cotton wool in my head, this is new. i hope you start feeling somewhat better soon xxx chris( 19yr sufferr)
  • Posted

I have every sympathy for all of you. I am currently experiencing CS headache. Have been having a flare up of CS since Saturday, which has totally wiped me out. GP has given me tramadol which zonks me out completely. I've rung the surgery this morning to see if it's OK to take paracetamol with tramadol and my GP has sorted a prescription, which is being taken to the pharmacy for me and delivered! It seems that my GP may finally be taking me seriously. Just wish he had done before I got to this stage of pain.

Good luck to everyone in reaching appropriate solutions. xx

• Posted

Hi everyone

My sympathies also. I used to get a lot of C/S associated headaches, so I know know how much more difficult it makes it to handle the other more direct symptoms . Over time I've come to realise that the headaches are a result of muscular neck reactions as the neck tries to protect the cervical spine from further aggravation. There is no reason why the actual C/S should cause headaches, there are no nerves going in that direction, and a lot of C/S sufferers simply don't experience headaches. As such, any headache should be treated separately. I've found that using a proper cervical pillow or adjusting my sleeping patterns by rotating between sleeping on bed and sofa can break the cycle of headaches and make the other symptoms easier to deal with. Also painkillers like nurofen, but only when needed. The key seems to be to allow the neck tio relax whilst sleeping and thus there is less need for muscular reactions and thus less headaches. Luckilly, I only get headaches once or twice a week now, where I used to have them fairly constantly. The same applies to the woolly head and muggy head feeling, where there can be a weird numb / sore feeling at back of head ocassionally, and to the stiff neck symptom. All these associated symptoms can be eased with good sleeping practice.

I'd like to say that I've found a medication that gives the same long term relief....but I haven't ! Masking the problem may bring some much needed relief, but it doesn't offer genuine long term improvement .

Gerry

• Posted

Hi all

I've been headache free (mostly) since I got a TENS machine. I spent 8 hours with my shoulders lifting up and down on their own. It left me sore for a few days. (like I'd overworked at the gym type sore) but ever since then I've felt so much better. I just wish it would work so well on my lower back problems too :?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.