Cervical Spondylosis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Recently diagnosed, arithic neck with bone spurs. Have been experiencing pins and needles in both hands and can no longer carry anything heavy. At times I feel as though I am stumbling when walking but it does not happen before the afternoon. In the afternoon I feel really fatigued, sometimes have a slight stutter, lots of twitches in the face. I started getting really painful head pain at the base of the skull a few years ago which would move to the forehead of which only a lie down and cold compress would help to allievate. Painkillers never worked, now I know why. Is it normal to get all of these symtoms? So far I have had an xray which highlighted the issue. Is this something else such as Fibro???

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi cheer48,

Sounds like all my symptoms which were lurking in the background for several years but came to a head when I fell off a ladder at work. A sudden loss of strength in my left arm with pins and needles in shoulder arm hand and fingers with spasming. It then spread across the base of my neck and into my right shoulder arm hand and fingers over the next few months.My legs were affected about two years later and I now have great difficulty walking more than a few paces before pain and tremors kick in. I am on pain control and will one day have to decide on having an operation but will delay for now. The neurosurgeon is monitoring the spinal cord pinching at c4,5,6 and 7 with mri at 12 month intervals.

Good luck, Mike.

• Posted

Thanks for the info Mike. You are really going through it! At first I thought the clumsy, tired walk at the end of the day was just fatigue. I also found that I can't turn my neck either side to the complete degree. Again, I thought my neck muscles were too tight. Did you experience puffy swelling around the neck and inside the clavicle area?
  • Posted

Mine was spotted after an  x ray  from a trip to a and I have spondylosis from c3 to c7 with two disks pressing on my spinal cord with early signs of signal change I can relate to you with all the symptoms you are having mine is worse in the night when I'm resting because my muscles have been working overtime to protect the neck all day now under a neurosurgeon and am waiting to back in July for my 6 month check up if you do have any other symptoms don't forget to inform your gp loads of info on the net and some great groups on facebook too like they say it's good to,talk 
    • Posted

Hi Ashton, thank you for replying. You are fortunate to know all the details, ny gp signed my xray report off as normal even though the radiographer briefly explained what she found to me. I couldn't get further than the receptionist regurgitating 'normal result' until I booked an appointment. The Locum gp said the same thing, 'normal result' until he saw my face and decided to view the report. He was horrified but remained professional in his feedback. His words were, 'with all due respect to my colleagues this is far from a normal result, far from it!' He explained the result but I don't have the finer details. I am going back to request an MRI and Im not taking no for an answer.
    • Posted

Best wishes ti you Ashton and yes, it is really good to talk!
  • Posted

Wow, in reading your post, I feel like I am reading about myself all over again. Based upon my experiences it sounds like this would be the correct diagnosis. Are you scheduled for an MRI or further testing? Have they responded to you in terms of surgery?
  • Posted

Hi All,

Look, the only thing I would say from my own experience is this:

Trust your own instincts above all else- I had sudden,immediate, complete and final loss of strength in my left arm and shoulder. Not over time,not sneaking up on me but sudden, after a shortish fall from a ladder. I accepted the soft tissue damage to my right foot which took all the weight of the fall, and the muscle and tendon damage in my left shoulder and arm, but the loss of strength in my left arm and shoulder was something I experienced and knew was wrong. I searched the internet for many hours before finding symptoms exactly the same and 13 months later the "proffesssionals"came to the same conclusions.

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I hope all is well. It turns out I have a large Pituitary tumour...

• Posted

Hello cheer48,

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. This is new to me, what treatments are available for you, are you coping on your own or do you have strong support.

I personally am just about managing but have driven my wife to border insanity. My wife is my only support and is always here for me. Unfortuneatly I keep forgetting things, or thinking that I have spoken to her but have not. I think it must be the meds I am tqking for pain pathway and severe depression. I mentally hurt or offend, or seem to be in the wrong place, whatever I do I upset her. Well back to my Councillor on Thursday, 16 sessions of CBT and I dont feel any better for it.

Bye for now, keep up to date.

• Posted

I have had the same symptoms, electric shocks down the arms as well. Couldn't drive, peel veg or anything.

It took 18 months to diagnose thorassic outcome syndrome. 

Before diagnosise they looked into crones, brain tumour and all sorts. 

It turns out I was cured with physio and exercise! 

It's not unusual to have nodules on the neck ( often caused by whiplash or injury) that get in the way of blood circulation when stressed, causes all sorts of symptoms including loss of muscle on one side of face, twitches etc. You think there is something seriously wrong. Again, cured by exercises. 

I wouldn't worry. Blood test should show anything else x 

• Posted

Hey all,

Feeling fed up with my CS. I was diagnosed by MRI last November after several months of problems. My condition also affects my hands and feet. I am on medication and visit a physio for advice and exercises. Over recent weeks I have had three severe headache episodes and am struggling with work. Like you, I find te afternoons the worst and the fatigue is awlful. I am also worried about a new diagnosis made by my physio of severe muscle weakness in my left arm. This is new, although I have had some numbness in my upper arm in recent times. Its such a draining condition ... and it is now causing issues for me at work (I am a housekeeper on a private estate). I am off to the gp today ... thinking he might sign me off.

• Posted

How are you doing now? Can they shrink the tumour? Hope all is well.
    • Posted

Hi Donna, thanks for asking. The plan is for surgery to remove it due to it's size and location. I'm ok, it's just the waiting and anxiety that builds up.
  • Posted

Your symptoms sound so very similar to me. I would come home from work exhausted, sleep for 8 to 10 hours, wake up feeling refreshed and within a couple of hours of work, again, I was exhausted as if I never had any sleep. 

I wish you the best of luck as you discover your health journey further.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.