cervical spondylosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been suffering from cervical spondylosis with multilevel degeneration for last 10 years. I am 53 now and can't manage the pain anymore. Neurosurgeon offered an operation which I have refused after reading discussions on internet.  Pain comes in the way of doing anything to a reasonable degree. I have asked my work people for ill health retirement but to no avail. Has anybody ever had to give up their work because of CS? and what was their employers reaction / support.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes I had to stop working due to the same problem. My employer didn't understand and I just had to take matters into my own hands. I truly understand your concern.

• Posted

Hi, Thank you very much for reply. I live in Brmingham. Do you know if there is any group / activities where sufferers like us can meet? My employer expect me to be able to concentrate and co-ordinate information for reports, etc. They believe with access to work support like software that types when I speak, and adaptation should be sufficient. They can not understand the difficulty in being able to capture and process information due to brain concerned with pains and aches all the time. [color=#333333] Occupational health expects by body to improve and be able to work with pain management. But [/color]Pain clinic have given me Butrans patches to take with other painkillers like gabapaetin, etc. I take Mirtazapine for depression.  None of this is helping. Even when pain is at its lowest I still can not take my mind off it to focus on something else. I get tired typing and take long time. So please forgive me if it is not clear, polite or making sense. Any tips on what I can do next? Did you use a solicitor and would you recommend them?
  • Posted

Hi I am 53 as well. I have for herniated disc’s in my neck with stenosis and D generation. My surgeon wants to do two replacement desks. Maybe you could look into that I heard this great success. I pray before I do anything maybe that something you could pray about it    If God leads you and give you peace  about it my free both of our lives up.  Ps If I stayed home I think I will go crazy I think sometimes were better off working part time at least
    • Posted

Thank you for your message. My neurosurgeon offered operation too but said due to multilevel nature of degeneration, there is no guarantee that the pain will go away, in other words start somewhere else due to further degeneration. Degeneration is happening throughout my spine now giving my middle and lower back pain too. If push my body to do something, it gives up after 5/10 minutes and I need 3/4 hours rest before I can do anything else. How do you cope with work? I live in Birmingham - uk and wondered if you are from  midlands and now of any group/activities where I can meet other people going through similar condition.
  • Posted

Sorry I was speaking to text spelling errors I think you to figure out what I said anyway
  • Posted

I'm in the west midlands but I'm not aware of any groups specifically for cs.

I too work, but has to reduce my hours from full to part time due to the pain. Heat helps me to keep doing what I can, but some days are more difficult than others. There are some good groups on Facebook for us cs sufferers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.