Cervical Spondylosis back with a vengence

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am 62 and have had spondylosis since I was 45. Back then I was diagnosed after getting pins and needles in arms and hands. Two years ago I had a mild return and after tests it was shown i had problems from c4 to c7 with bony spurs. No problems since really until about 3 weeks ago when my shoulder started to hurt. My neck is now hot and tingling all the time. I have pins and needles in both arms and in one leg. I feel weak is the arms too. During the day the symproms dont seem so bad and even go away except for the neck, but at night I cant sleep due to the constant pins and needles which also go into my face and head. Waiting for an MRI scan. Very worried now! Anyone else had similar?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi modeller53,

What you describe is the same as my, and most other sufferers, symptoms of c/s. The only things that work for me are: Gabapentin 600mgs 3 times a day for the tingling and pins and needles, Naproxen 1 twice a day for pain, Butransmorphine 10microns pain patch, really helps for a good nights sleep but worn 24/7. I also take other medications for complications attatched to c/s but these are the pain path control meds.

If your symptoms continue to progress you may have bladder and bowel problems too, monitor closely for any changes in normal patterns.

Best of luck, Mike

• Posted

Thanks for info. We have flown from Spain today and now my legs feel tight in muscles and weak although are not actually weak. Is this normal for CSI too?

• Posted

Hello,  I had similar symptoms six years ago, the state of my neck was so bad that if I looked down, I couldn't raise my head without carefully working it back to horizontal.  I had two cervical disc replacements, they open up the front of your neck and cut away some of the vertebrae, insert metal boxes with a ball bearing in each joint.  

This cured the problem but I have some similar symptoms creeping up again, it appears I might need another one doing.  There is a team of doctors that work privately at the Nuffield Hospital near Stockton on Tees and for the NHS in North Tees Hospital.  People travel from all over to get fixed and I know of three more people who have since beenand had the same results.

The doctor there tells me any GP in the country should be prepared to send people to them as the rules now make it easy.

Good luck

OldMGdriver.  (probably the reason for the shaking up of my bones).

• Posted

Leg problems are normally lower back damage, I have no feeling in my right leg as the nerves were damaged by lumbar disc failure 30 years ago, the cervical problem usually seems to be hands and arms. A chap who shoots regularly told me he sent his gun for service as the triggers seemed tight, turned out his fingers were losing their strength because of his C/S.  An employee of mine had what seemed like electric shocks in his hands when he reached for anything.  Again same problem.

He had the same operation as me in Sheffield and it fixed it.

The MRI should show it up, just get the right man with the knife and you should be ok.

OldMGdriver.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.