Cervical Spondylosis ESA

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am new to this site and I have found it very interesting and helpful.

Let me begin.

Almost a year ago I was having problems with my right hand, my GP referred me to a doctor at a local surgical centre. I was immediately diagnosed as having Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. My hand was operated on a month or so later, without me first having any tests. My hand has never recovered. Due to continuing pain I was sent for a nerve induction test which revealed that the problem lay elsewhere. I then saw a neurologist who suspected CS. I then had an x-ray and MRI scan. The scan clearly shows what the registrar called considerably where and tear to a large area of my neck. I have stenosis, two herniated discs and a lot of wear to the vertebrae and a trapped artery. The registrar said that it was cuased by heavy work. Surgery would invole a major operation and did not think it advisable, he said that nothing could be done for the trapped artery. Incidentily, in America a trapped vertebral artery is referred to as \"Bow Hunter's Syndrome\" - I was an archer for fifteen years and no doubt this contributed to the damage. I am now waiting to see a Neuro Surgeon if only for a second opinion to convince the DWP bods, also I am to see a physio therepist.

From the end of May last year I was claiming ESA, I had a so-called medical assessment by an ATOS doctor who had special powers. He could tell my pulse rate and that both of my heart chambers were working normaly without taking my pulse or using a stephoscope. I told him that I was having carpal tunnel release two days later, also, that I had severe tennis elbow. I performed the required movements, albeit with pain and answered his many questions. He spent most of his time clicking answers to questions on his computer. Naturally I failed the test. The Decision Maker would not take any notice of medical evidence from my GP, consultants or surgeons or that I had surgery two days after the assessment. Many people ask what planet the ESA decision make comes from, I have found that ESA (Employment Support Allowance) also stands for European Space Agency. So perhaps the decision maker really has come from somewhere in outer space, he or she certainly is not human. Anyway I took my case to a tribunal and WON. I am now to have a second assessment in two weeks.

I was hoping for some successful treatment for CS but have not been given much hope, particularly as surgery has been ruled out due to the risks. I now have to live with CS for the rest of my life, I am 50 years of age. Will physio help, what about painkillers though I do suffer from vertigo, will a Tens Machine be of any benefit? The CS is causing pain in my hands, arms, shoulders, neck and is causing lower back pain due to change of posture. I am beginning to get pains in my legs and all my limbs are becoming a lot weaker.

Can anyone offer advice or a few crumbs of comfort?

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello there, its sounds like you been through the wringer, these medical doctors are amazing arent they {sarcastic laugh}, what do they know, nothing, anyway in answer to youre question a tens machine does help, i use one for my neck pain and headaches its brill better than painkillers, well wroth a try,  a lso get carpel tunnel, but i just bought a strap thats made for it and it does help, my drs are not very good, so i have to sort things out myself, the strap cost 12pounds but worth it stops the pain, a warm bath is another helpful hint if you can manage it just sit and gently wiggle youre legs about beleive me its sounds funny biut it works, whatever you do dont sit down for too long try and move around go to the loo etc, at the moment im getting more bad days than good, but i always try and be positive, it could be worse, thats my motto, another thing have you tried to et a small trolley type thing sorry not sure of the name, but been thinking of getting one myself they look great and very supportive when i find out what they called will let you know, in the meantime keep youre chin up and remember we are all friends on here so you are not alone tkae care love tracey x
  • Posted

Hi,I also have 3bulging discs touching nerves bin in agony,docs kept saying it was my fibromyalgia,MRI confirmed otherwise,I've also had Tia,got glaucoma,dvts,can hardly walk,dudonal ulcer,osteoarthritis,and I was awarded 12 points and dwp say I'm fit for work and want the desision to be backdated to 2010, it's a bloody joke,I would love to be in work and have my life back,do they realise the mentality and pain they cause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.